Chapter Thirty-Three: Keefe

Keefe stared at the sketches of fragments of memories.

He had been searching for hours, trying to figure out what other powers Mommy Dearest had implanted in him when "the thing" had been going on.

"Keefe?"

Keefe looked up to see Sophie staring at him.

"I...uh...don't think I ever told you this," she said. "But... I'm halfway there to figuring out my biological parents."

Keefe perked up for the first time in forever.

"You did?" he asked.

"Yeah," Sophie sat down next to him, "It's... Councillor Oralie."

Keefe blinked a couple times as it sank in.

"No way," he shook his head. "How did I not see that before? You two look so alike."

"But that's why I'm now unmatchable forever," Sophie sighed. "I don't want to risk her losing her position."

Keefe knew what she was talking about. Councillors weren't allowed to have familial or marital ties, because then they could possibly be biased. And Oralie being Sophie's biological mother was unthinkable, since the Black Swan used to be the Council's enemy.

"Yeah, figured you might wanna know, since we used to spend forever talking about who they could be," she shrugged. "Anyways, how's it going for you?"

Keefe turned to the sketches.

"Not well," he sighed. "I'm on the theory that Mommy Dearest secretly did more than implant that new ability. It was obvious because I was able to easily translate from the Enlightened Language to French almost instantly, which is a big red flag that something's up."

Sophie pursed her lips together.

"Hey, we'll win the fight," she said. "We just need more information."

Neither of them said anything for a while.

"Well, if it makes you feel better," she finally said. "Dex invited all us to come over to check out the television he and his mom have. Marinette even found her old DVDs."

Keefe perked up at that idea.

"Should I command you to take me there?" he asked. Sophie elbowed him and they both started laughing.

"Okay, what do y'all wanna see?" Marinette asked, digging through a duffel bag filled with DVDs—Sophie said it was a way for people to watch movies. "We could marathon Disney movies, we could binge-watch a series..."

"What's The Hunger Games?" Biana asked.

"Something you're not ready for," Sophie said. "We should probably start easy."

"Just make sure it's a good one," Adrien added.

"Yeah, we're not doing any of the cheesy ones," Sophie agreed. "So we're leaving out all the cheesy Disney movies."

Keefe watched as Sophie, Marinette, and Adrien talked about different things they'd watched. It felt weird; it felt like he'd been missing out.

"Wait, stop," Sophie said, pulling out a DVD. "You have Prince of Egypt and you never told me?!"

"What's that?" Keefe asked.

"Literal perfection," Marinette said.

"I wasn't allowed to see it," Adrien admitted.

"OKAY THAT'S IT WE'RE WATCHING PRINCE OF EGYPT MARINETTE PUT IT ON RIGHT NOW," Sophie said.

Keefe wasn't sure what to expect of his first human movie.