Chapter Nineteen: Sophie

Sophie had no idea what was going on.

One minute, they were all waiting for the rest of the group to come in so they could all light leap to Everglen.

The next, they were face-to-face with a group of teenagers who clearly had a history with Marinette and Adrien, given their shocked faces.

"We were going around making sure that everyone was unconscious, when we found out that they all had held their breath," Alya explained. "They all thought Hawkmoth was attacking. They thought... that... they thought Ladybug would call them for help."

Sophie turned to see Marinette blink back even more tears.

"Why are you leaving?" the girl who had been asking all the questions said. She had short hair, the same color as Marinette's, with brown eyes and dark freckles.

"I... I can't explain," Adrien sucked in a breath. "None of us can. You're not even supposed to remember me after this."

"Not supposed to remember?" a girl with super-short blonde hair and bright blue eyes (and wearing too much pink for Sophie's eyes) crossed her arms. "That's what you say? Not an explanation as to why you're leaving Paris forever?"

Sophie could see both Adrien and Marinette fighting not to break down.

"No... this isn't supposed to happen..." Sophie grit her teeth together, wishing someone could knock them out right now.

"Look, if we explain, it's not like you'll remember anyways," Marinette said, tears streaming down her cheeks. "We just... can't be here anymore. It's not safe."

Sophie started to fight back her own tears as she watched all the humans stare in confusion.

"Look, I'm sorry if we can't explain," Marinette said, walking closer to the group. "You just have to promise that you'll forget about us, okay?"

"You think we'll just pick up and move on and forget you two even existed?" the dark-haired girl asked, Sophie wondering how she was still pretty emotionless, but she could still see a little sadness.

Marinette didn't even respond. Sophie could see waterfalls running from her eyes now.

And up above, Mr. Forkle and Tam on a rooftop, holding disks of sleeping gas.

Marinette and Adrien noticed it as well.

"Look, you guys have been the best of friends," Adrien said. "But where we're going... you can't follow us."

Sophie could hear Marinette muster a quiet "good-bye" as everyone but the human group held their breath as blue gas billowed down on them, leaving all but Adrien, Marinette, Chloe, Alya, Nino, Keefe, and Sophie conscious.

"That's it," Fitz said, coming up to them. "We've given everyone a dose. The Washers should be here soon."

Sophie saw Adrien shaking a little.

And without thinking, she grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly.

"It's only going to get better from here," she said. "The less they remember, the less of a target they'll be for the Neverseen."

Adrien gave a small nod.

Sophie pulled out a pathfinder, like most the other elves did as well.

"You guys ready?" she asked, only too aware of Marinette and Keefe holding each other tightly. Those two sure had gotten close while Keefe had been hiding.

The last she saw of Paris was the Washers coming in, the three humans explaining why they had to keep remembering.

bonus POV (because i'm not sure how to keep going in their story without switching to Marinette; there's also a scene that you guys need to read):

When he woke up, a good chunk of his memories were missing.

The last he remembered was a blue gas before he fell unconscious almost immediately.

Gabriel slowly peeled himself from the ground and checked underneath his scarf. The Miraculous was still safely there.

Thank goodness.

He quickly went into his secret garden and stared out the window, watching the last of blue smoke trail out of a building.

What had exactly happened?

"Gabriel Agreste?"

Gabriel turned to see a group of cloaked figures, a white eye on the backs of their cloaks.

"Funny thing about removing memories," the person in the front said, holding a folded piece of paper. "All that's left are emotions. And once you have the right trigger, all the hard work goes bye-bye."

Gabriel was confused.

"You see, we've recently discovered that a boy we've given a special power to had been hiding here in Paris," the person said, their voice feminine. "And it was there we learned that the Black Swan had a second moonlark up their sleeve."

"I... don't know what you're talking about," he said.

"Either way, we want to give you a deal," the woman said, handing him the paper. "You help us destroy both moonlarks, and in turn, we'll give you back the life you've been fighting for this whole time. You, your wife, and your son, all together."

He had to think about it for a minute.

"Emilie and I never had any children," he shook his head.

"Oh, silly me, I forgot," the woman chuckled. "Your 'son' is gone, everyone else has forgotten. He had just played the role of your child because the Black Swan didn't want him realizing his real identity as the other moonlark. Go ahead. See if that picture is the trigger."

He slowly unfolded the image to reveal...

"Adrien?" he gasped, feeling his head pound from memories being uncovered.

"And you'll help us defeat him," the woman said, pulling down her hood and revealing her ice blue eyes and reddish hair. "The name's Lady Gisela. And if you agree to join the Neverseen, we promise that Emilie will come back."

Gabriel hesitated a little, noticing the coffin holding his wife, surrounded by pupa, growing new akumas.

Then, with a sinister smirk, he shook Lady Gisela's hand.

After all, Adrien Agreste wasn't really his child anymore.

So it would be easier for him to destroy Adrien.