6.

Dawn and the other boys were standing over by the SUV when we approached them. I could smell the cigarette smoke before I could see it. Jake smiled at me, his cigarette dangling out of the corner of his mouth.

   I raised an eyebrow and he shrugged lightly, reaching up to take it from in between his lips before handing it over to me. I hesitated for a second, but finally took it. I could feel Dawn's eyes on me but I didn't look at her.

   Sharing a cigarette was harmless. Well, you know what I mean.

   "This is Charlie." Posy said loudly, causing the rest of the boys to look over our way. "Charlie!" One of them yelled out as though he had known me for years. He was the younger brother, I remembered that. Dawn had said he was just a baby. He was tall and gangly but still resembled his older brothers.

   He threw his arms around me, the smell of alcohol engulfing me. "Your hair is so fucking cool." I saw Jake out of the corner of my eye trying his best to bite back a laugh. "This is Sammy. My little brother." He explained as Sam drew back, giving me a wide, drunken grin.

   "Can I hit that?"

   I couldn't help but smile as I nodded, handing him the cigarette. "Sharing is caring, right?" Sam nodded his head dramatically as I spoke, inhaling deeply from the cigarette.

   "And right there," Posy spoke again, pointing at the other boy, "That's Daniel." He was just as tall as Sam, with dark hair and big eyes. "Danny." He corrected her sternly and she smacked her lips together, waving him off.

   I could tell he wasn't as drunk as the others but he still hugged me, same as Sam had done, wrapping me up like we were old friends. "Your hair really is so fucking cool." He assured me as he pulled away.

   "You are all definitely drunk." I said rolling my eyes. It still felt good though especially since today was a bad hair day for me. "Not me!" Sam yelled out, "That would be underage drinking aaaand I do not partake in such things."

   "Uh huh, sure." I flashed him a thumbs up and he laughed loudly as he handed me back the almost non existent cigarette. "Sorry I forgot we were sharing."

   I laughed, tossing the butt onto the ground, assuring him it was okay. Jake shifted a little and I looked over at him. "I have another one." He said softly, "If you want it."

   "So much for holding me accountable." I retorted and he flipped me the bird. Dawn had been quiet, watching everyone as they spoke and I wanted to ask her if she was good, but she wouldn't look at me.

   "You coming in or what?"

   We all looked over at the water where Josh was. I hadn't even noticed him get in and I knew it had taken Posy by surprise too from the loud snort she had let out. "That's our cue." She said, pulling at my arm.

   I motioned for Dawn to come on but she stuck by Jake's side. The other two boys had splashed into the water, pushing each other like little kids. As we approached the waters edge, I pulled off my big tshirt suddenly feeling a little self conscious in my swimsuit.

"You look great." Posy whispered to me as she shoved her curls into a bun on the back of her head. I waded out into the water with her and when we reached the rest of the boys, Josh scooped her up into his arms like he hadn't seen her in years.

"Jake come on!" Posy yelled out, giggling as Josh planted wet kisses all over her face. I twisted around in the cool water, the sun beating down on my shoulders. Jake was trying to get Dawn to come in but she wouldn't budge and I could tell she didn't want him to get in either.

"Dawn!" I called out, waving my hands for her to come in. She seemed reluctant but finally followed Jake into the water, clinging to his arm. I felt a weird pang in my stomach and I turned away quickly, putting my attention back on the boys who were attempting to dunk each other under the water.

Jake and Dawn joined us and Posy playfully splashed water their way. Dawn ducked behind Jake, who had a mischievous grin on his face. I knew what he was about to do but I didn't react quick enough. He sent a big splash of water towards Posy but unfortunately- I was in the way.

The water hit me square in the face, soaking me completely. "You asshat!" I yelled out, laughing. Before I knew it we were all splashing water at each other, everyone joining in. Water dripped from my hair into my eyes and I quickly wiped them so I could see the next attack.

When I opened them again Jake was in front of me, his cheeks pink from the sun and his hair dripping all over his face same as mine had. "Sorry." He grinned, unapologetically. I
shrugged, "Oh, it's fine. Don't worry about it."

He gave me a look and I gave him one back before jumping up and shoving his head under the water. His arms wrapped around my body as he struggled to push his head back up. I let up, laughing loudly as he emerged from the water, his arms still around me.

Everyone else were still splashing around, the sound of laughter and water filling the spring air. His arms felt strong around me and I brought my hands up to his chest to push him off but he didn't budge.

"You think you're funny, huh?" Jake asked, licking at his wet lips. I grinned, "Hilarious actually."

He removed one of his arms from my body and I could see his hand hovering by my face. I went still, waiting to see what he would do. He smiled as he pushed one of my wet strands of hair out of my eyes for me.

"Charlie!" Dawn's voice floated over to us and I looked over to trying to find her. Before I knew it, Jake was already dunking my head under the water.