Chapter 2

"Mom I'm so excited!" I say, grabbing her hand and squeezing it. "I am excited for you, sweetie! We've been waiting for something like this to happen since you began!" She smiles and kisses my forehead. My mom and I have a very close relationship, she knows almost everything about me. Since my dad is always away and I was homeschooled until high school (because of my rigorous schedule), my mom and Jake were my first friends. "Dad didn't seem that happy about my big news."

"He is baby, he just doesn't know how to really show it. That big brute." She teases, climbing in the car. As my dad drives that car to the café, I can't keep the smile off of my face. I'm still waiting for me to wake up from the dream I must be in. 

Once we get there, my dad tells us that he'll be reading over the contract before we agree or sign anything with the label. I agree with him because even though he is a criminal lawyer, he's very determined and attentive when reading any kind of contract. Also, I'm just happy that he's taking an interest in something other than his job.

"Good afternoon, Megan. Mr. and Mrs. Holmes." Donald says holding his hand out for a handshake from each. "Hello." I say beaming. We sit down at the table I met Donald at the night before and he begins discussing the contract with my parents.

My mom and I sit quietly as my dad and Donald talk business. I know I should be interested in what was being discussed about my future but I trusted my dad, plus I couldn't stop thinking about signing the damn contract. My hands were itching. "Can I get you guys anything?" Deb politely asks, walking over towards us. "Hey, Deb!" I say, hugging her.

"I think we're all good. Mr. Field?" Donald shakes his head "no," so my father thanks Debra before she walks off. My mom got up with her, I could tell she was just as antsy as I was. Talking to her best friend, should calm her a bit. I was about to text my best friend to see if he was still out with Henry, from football but I stopped when I heard the best words in my life.

"I think we have a deal, Mr. Field." My father announces after a long, what felt like a 232 hour discussion. "Everything is acceptable and well planned, Megan. The choice is yours." he adds, kissing my head. I hug onto my dad for a few minutes while my mom rushes over with tears rolling out of her eyes.

I take the pen from Donald's hand and I begin to sign where he tells me to.

"I'll be in contact with you in the next few days, Miss Holmes. We'll be discussing new living arrangements in California, where it's closer to the main studio." He stands up and shakes my hand again before bidding my parents a goodbye and leaving the café.

-

While my parents are talking to Debra about my signing, I try to call Ashely. She disappeared yesterday and I hadn't seen or talked to her today, "Hey Ashely! It's me, Meg. I wanted to let you know that I acutely signed the contract today with Golden Global Records! I'm so excited and I wanted to go out tonight with you and Jake to celebrate. Return my call, love you bye!" I hang up and turn into the arms of Jake.

"Jake! I was about to call you." I mutter into his chest while jumping in excitement.

"Congrats Meggy! I'm so proud of you, pudding." he laughed, holding my tighter. "Thanks Jakey! I'm so excited." I all but scream. He loathes that nickname but I'm too happy to let his scold effect me. "Well I have some good news, too." he says, taking a seat at the table I just got up from. "Really? What's up? Today is a good day! I can feel it."

"Someone got accepted to UCLA, with a full football scholarship!" I jump up again and give him another hug, trying to squeeze him the hardest I could. Today was a great day. "I'm so proud of you!" I exclaim, using the words he just said to me. We stand comfortably still, continuing to hug each other. "Now we all get what we want." I whisper, "Ashely is going to U Arts in Philly, you're going to UCLA, and I'm going to working for a record company. I can't believe this." I say, trying to think ahead about the next few years.

"Just promise you won't leave my behind." Jake says playfully, but I can hear a hint of seriousness in his voice. "How would I be able to do that if you're going to be my future NFL player?" I say looking up at him, directly in his greenish, brownish eyes.

"Hey why don't we have dinner this weekend?" Debra asks, walking towards us with my mom. My dad had just left, he had an important meeting at work. "I think that sounds great." My mom chimes in.

"We can have it here with all of your friends and our families." Deb adds. "That's a wonderful idea, Deb." I smile and hug her.

---

"Hi, I wanted to know if Ashely was home." I inquire.  Ashely's mother answered the door.

"Yeah, she's here but sleeping. She hasn't been feeling well. I can tell her you came by?" she  offers. "Oh well, I only wanted to tell her about the dinner party that my mom and Jake's mom is throwing us. Sort of a congratulations kind of thing." I ramble on. I told her all of our great news and the party is basically an extremely early graduation party."I tried calling her yesterday but she hasn't returned any of my calls."

"She has a bit of a cold, but we will definitely be there." She says smiling. "Thank you Mrs. Grey! Tell her to dress up nicely! It's for her as well." I smile walking back to my car and waving.

-

"So what's next on our list?" Jake says when I get back inside the car. "Shopping!" I say with a smile in an obvious tone, watching him grumble. "What?! It's always fun with me." I tease him.

"Definitely." he says with a flat tone.