Chapter 14

*beep....beep....beep*

"Well good morning, sunshine." A lady in a white coat says to me. She had one hand on her hip and the other holding a clip board, smiling down at me. "Where am I?" I said looking around. My vision was very blurry, I could only see the outline of the lady with out focusing on her. "You're at the hospital, silly. You've been here for a week."

"A week?! What?"

"Calm down, we don't need your head to begin to give you anymore trouble. You were hit by a car, so your ribs are pretty busted. You also had a contusion, but that wasn't from the accident. I spoke to some of your friends, and Conner- I think his name was- told me you got hit in the face about a month ago. He said you were getting bad headaches and dizzy spells. Your brain was swelling, Miss Holmes, that's not good. If you waited a few more weeks, things could have been more fatal for you." She gave me a stern look and was writing things on her clip board. "Now that you're up, I can go get you some food and something to drink. I know you must be starving." I shook my head, too busy trying to remember what happened.

"Oh, he's been here all week. Refused to leave your side. You have many other visitors in the waiting room, but I figured I'd let you two get to talk before sending the others in." She winked at me and left the room. Who the hell was she talking about- oh! Jake.

He was sitting in a comfortable looking couch on the side of me, sleeping. I didn't want to wake him but I did want to talk to him. He looked so peaceful, his features relaxed, so beautiful. "Jake," I whispered. My throat was way to dry to talk at a normal volume. When he didn't wake up, I tried to reach over and touch him, but my aching body told me otherwise. Sulking, I sat there trying to figure out what to do until I saw my phone on the nightstand next to my bed. I unlocked it and hit Jake's name, waiting for his phone to ring. Once his phone started vibrating he jumped up and reached for it. Never once did he look in my direction, I found that funny. I let out a giggle and he finally looked towards me. His eyes shined brightness and his smile just as warm. "Oh my god, Megan!" He came over and hugged me. My ribs screamed and I let out a whimper, "oh! I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, it's fine." I said with a low, raspy voice. My doctor, Dr. Taylor, it read on her name tag, came back in with the food. She checked my vitals, gave me the food and a glass of water, winked, once more, and left again. I drank a glass of water, ignoring the food, I wasn't really hungry. I just wanted to talk to Jake.

"Hi." I smiled, bashfully. "Hi." He said, still smiling hugely. "I've missed you, Megs. I've missed you a lot." He was holding my face in between his hands. "I would say I missed you too but I don't remember anything happening. All I remember is going to see your football game. Is that when the accident happened?" I looked at him in confusion but he's face turned from happy to fearful in seconds. "You don't remember the fight we had?" I crinkled my eyes, trying to remember but I couldn't. Jake dropped his hands and slouched. "No, Jake. Don't look so upset." I reached up and rested one of my hands on his cheek. "I'm the reason you're here right now." He said getting up, pacing the room. "Jake, don't say that. It was most likely me being the overdramatizing person that I am." I tried joking but he didn't see anything funny. "Jake-"

"No! You don't get it! It was my fault! I questioned you about dating Conner! I blocked you in the bathroom and tired to force you to talk! You ran from me out of the bathroom and into the street! Me!" He was running his hands through his hair, nonstop, his eyes rimmed with tears. "I'm the reason you're sitting here, all banged up. Me. I'm such a horrible friend, Megan please forgive me. I'm so sorry." He came back over to me and hugged me, crying on my shoulder.

Wow, I hadn't seen Jake cry since we were kids. So I know he really felt pretty messed up about what he did. I couldn't remember anything about that night still and I didn't care. "I'm alive." I whispered. Jake looked up at me, confusion all on his face. "Yes, you're alive. You-"

"I'm not dead, Jake. I'm alive and I'm happy that I can talk to you, and I can feel you, and I can see you. Don't focus on the bad. It was semi my fault for not coming and getting my head checked out earlier, too. So it's not just your fault. And don't put all that weight on your shoulders. It's fine, I'm going to recover. Let's focus on that." I smile at him, smoothing out the worry lines in his forehead. "I'm okay and I love you for worrying about me. Thank you for staying and waiting for me to wake up, Jake." I say lightly, still running my little fingers over his forehead. His arms were wrapped around my waist still, from the hug, and he was still staring at me with a look of awe. "Jake... You've been looking at me like this for a while now." I crinkle my eyebrows and laugh a little. "I just- you never seem to amaze me, Miss Holmes. You've been in a near death situation and you're still looking on the brighter side of things." I honestly don't know what to say, so I just blush. "You are incredible." I blush even harder and look away from his gaze. He brings my face back up, to look at him and I know I must look like a tomato or close to it. "Jake I-" I begin to refuse. "I know I shouldn't do this," he squeezes his eyes shut, as if he's pained. "But I'm going to do it anyway and we can act like it never happened." Before I can ask what he's talking about, he leans in and kisses me.

I grab the sides of his head and I pull him closer to me. Maybe if he kissed me the first night in the hospital, I would have woken up sooner. His hands grip my hips tighter but not tight enough to hurt me as his tongue slide into my mouth. I can feel my heart accelerating in my chest as the kiss intensifies. I've never felt so good in my life, considering I'm in a hospital bed.

Jake leans back and chuckles a bit, scratching his head, embarrassingly. "Did I do that?" I was about to ask what, when I hear my heart monitor beeping off the charts. I blush, madly, but can't help but laugh. "I think you did, Urkel.*"

He gets up from the bed, brushing the imaginary dust off of his pants. Well you have tons of people waiting to see you. Maybe we should let them do that instead of making out." Jake jokes, then his face drops. "Not that I don't want to make out with you-"

"Jake just go!" I laugh, cutting his embarrassment short. He laughs a little before walking back towards me. He bends down and admires me, before plopping a quick kiss on my lips before heading towards the door. "I love you." He says before walking out of the room.

----

*Steve Urkel was a TV character on the show Family Matters. His character can be described as a geeky adolescent/eventually adult. Urkel would always break, mess up, or destroy things and then reliever his infamous line "Did I do that?"

I just wanted to let this chapter focus on Jake and Megan and their feelings for each other. As you can see, the feelings are mutual but the question is: Will they stay that way? Will Jake end up with Celia instead of Megan? Will Megan choose Conner instead of Jake? Does Ashely stay with Seth?

Thank you for reading:) it means a lot. Xx

- Ri.