Chapter 26

The week went by incredibly slow and I couldn't wait to leave. My flight was scheduled to leave in 3 hours and I needed time to hurry and pass. I stopped by Tiffany's apartment to say goodbye to her and Anna and found a pleasant surprise when I showed up. "Conner!" I said happily, as he opened the door. "Megan!" He said just as happily. "I can't believe you're leaving." He said reaching over to give me a hug. "I know, I know. But I'm home sick and I need some time to myself. I can't believe you and Tiffany made it official!" I whisper to him, jokingly. "Not official yet, still working on it!" He winks. "Meggy! Meggy!" I hear Anna's voice as her little feet run in My direction. "Well hello, my princess. How are you?" I ask, picking her up. Tiffany comes in soon after with a bowl of Anna's food. "Oh my god, hey!"

"Hey, Tiff!" I said giving her a hug with Anna still in my arms. "So what brings you here?" She asked, pleasantly. "She's leaving us to become an East-Sider again!" Conner says, feigning hurt. "Oh shut up! You sound like someone off of Gossip Girl!" I laugh. "But I am moving to New York today."

"You're leaving me?" Anna says, beginning to cry. "I am, pumpkin. But you can always come visit and I'll come visit you as well, okay?" She shakes her head and then lies it on my shoulder. We all talk for another half hour before I tell them I have to leave and they tell me to keep in contact with them.

"To the airport, Ms. Holmes?" My driver asks me. "Actually, no." I give him the address to Jake's dorm, deciding to finally give him the letter I wrote days ago. Once I got there I was going to knock on the door, but I changed my mind, slipping the letter under the door and praying that he gets it when I'm already on the plane. I stand there for a second, resting one on my hands against the door. Should I knock? I close my eyes and breathe in deeply. I could feel tears swelling in my eyes. This is it, I thought to myself.

As the elevator doors opened, Jake's friend, Jake Jackman, stood there with a book bag over his back. "How's it going?" He said smiling. I had on my sunglasses, so he couldn't tell that I had been crying. "Good." I tired to smile but my voice wavered and I knew he could tell I had been crying. "Jake's at practice, but is something wrong? Do you want me to go find him?" He asked, concern written all over his face. "No, no. Everything is fine. I'm um, I'm leaving town today and I came by to drop something off. But I think it's better for him not to see me this way." He shook his head, understandingly. "Oh hey, I'm sorry about the way I behaved last week. It wasn't my classiest moment."

"No, it's all good. Everything was pretty rough that day. No hard feelings and good luck with whatever your doing." With that, we said our goodbyes and I got on the elevator.

---
Jake's POV

When my 3 hour practice ended, I checked my phone to see I had 14 missed calls from Jake and 5 missed text messages from him.

Jake:
Jake. Get back here now. It's about Megan.

I didn't even hit the showers, I ran to my dorm room as fast as possible while trying to call Megan. The calls went straight to voicemail, so I figured she was still mad at me and prayed that she was okay.

"What's going on?" I said once I got to my room. "You need to read this, I think it's important." He handed me an unopened envelope with my name written on it in Megan's hand writing. "She came to visit about 2 hours ago, she said she was leaving town." I heard him say while I read over the note. "F.uck!" I shouted. "What?" He said, scared. "I need to get to the airport. Now!" I said changing into some normal wear and hoping that I don't stink too bad. "I'll drive. You aren't driving when your mind is this frantic, pass me your keys." I threw him my keys and he headed out the door and to my car.

Once we got to the airport, I ran in and towards the first desk I saw. "I need to know about any flights leaving for NYC tonight." I said, kind of in a distraught mood. "The last flight for New York just left." The lady said in a bored tone. "Last flight?" Shouldn't there be flights going there all night? Maybe she's still waiting for one. "There's a bad snow storm hitting New York soon, so that was our last flight there until tomorrow night. I'm sorry, sir." She said not looking up from her computer desk.

That was it. I knew it was. She was on that last flight, that was her flight! Dammit! Why did I have to be so stubborn and stupid and let her go. I didn't even try to call her this week and talk everything over. She probably thinks I hate her and now I won't be seeing her for a while, if ever. I walk back to the car and got in silently. I know Jake can tell that i was upset so he just started the car and began to drive.

When we're back in our dorm room, I shower, brush my teeth, and climb in bed. Thinking over the last hour, I feel like I need to cry but I don't. Maybe all of this is happening for a reason. She's moving to New York, she's out of the Hollywood business, going to her dream school. She'll be happy, I know she will. I just want to be the reason, but I know I'm not. I know, deep down, I'm the reason she's leaving California. I know she can't stand being this close to me and not being able to talk to me. She needs control in her life and she knows that moving to NYC she'll be able to control her urges of not talking to me. I know it, I know her.

I grab my phone and decide to send her a text message,

Me:
I will always love you.