5 | 19th birthday

"Pst."

Your unexplainable dream comes to an abrupt end and you can feel your body start to slowly wake up again.

"Happy birthday, y/n." You sense a gentle kiss plant itself onto your forehead and you weakly lift one eye open.

Mikasa sits there on your bed, smiling and holding a small box in her hands. You sit up straight, curiosity growing inside you. "What's that?"

She extends her arm to bring the box forward but right when you reach for it, she pulls it away. "Before I give it to you, there's some stuff I want to say."

You rub at your eyes and do a quick stretch. The curtains in your room were already pulled apart and dim sunlight was shining through. From what you could see so far, it looked like it was a gorgeous day outside. "Okay."

Her fingers fiddle nervously with the ribbon around the small box. You could tell she had words prepared prior to this but now that it was time to say them, nothing would come out.

You grin and scoot closer to her. "Why are you getting shy all the sudden?"

Mikasa's head shoots up. "I'm not! I'm just trying to make sure I say what I have to say without leaving anything out."

You decide to tease her just a bit more. "I can close my eyes or turn around if it's easier for you."

She glares at you and you raise your hands up in defense. She then sits up straight and clears her throat. "Okay. Here goes nothing."

She opens up the lid of the small box after she removes the sparkly ribbon and a gorgeous bracelet with brilliant gemstones in shades of purple and gold becomes exposed.

Your eyes widen and your swollen, morning lips part open. "Whoa."

With her fingers, she lifts up the bracelet and extends her other hand out indicating for you to give her yours. Once you do, she begins to wrap the bracelet around your wrist.

"The purple gems are amethyst and the golden ones are topaz. Amethyst is my birth stone and topaz is yours." She explains.

When the bracelet is attached safely, you bring your sparkling wrist up to your eyeline. "I never realized your birthstone is my favorite color."

She smiles. "Coincidentally."

You return the smile but it quickly fades when you look at the insane quality of the bracelet up close. "Wait. How much did this cost? This looks like I can buy my own castle with it."

She twirls a strand of dark hair around her finger. "I've been saving up for it for a while, don't worry about it."

You feel yourself pout and a tingling sensation arises in your chest. Mikasa starts to laugh. "Don't get emotional yet, I haven't even started my speech."

Oh god.

For some reason, you felt anxious. The tension and suspense kept getting built up the more she struggled to say the words she had planned for a while now.

"Okay." She lets out a shaky breath. "I know that eventually you're gonna leave and you and I aren't going to see eachother anymore and-"

"Stop." You interrupt her but she continues regardless.

Her head falls forward, her eyes refusing to look at yours. "I wish I could go with you but I can't. So, I got this bracelet so it'll be like I'm always with you even when I'm not."

You felt lightheaded. Your mouth watered like your body was signaling you were on the verge of vomiting. You hated talking about this.

"I just don't want you to feel alone." She admits. "I've been by your side for years now and you're going to leave to some other land and you're going to be surrounded by strange people you know nothing about and who know nothing about you and I just get worried that-"