3: Starring Role

~A

"Great, it's you again." I huffed under my breath once I entered the studio the next day. Sat amongst the people I usually work with was the man that could infuriate me with just a look.

"Missed me, princess?" He provoked instantly, proving my point before I even closed the door.

"Don't flatter yourself." I shot back his own words from the day before, gifting him with a sarcastic smile before walking past him.

"Hey Lauren, Mitch. How are you?" I smiled genuinely this time to the two producers I've been working with for the last year, greeting both of them with a quick hug.

"Hey Lex. We're good. How about you?" Lauren asked, smiling back.

"Any inspiration flowing?" Mitch questioned and I knew his question referred to the one song we've been trying to finish writing. All three of us seemed to be experiencing writer's block with this one and even though it wasn't the last song to be done for the album, trying to finish it seemed a lot more challenging than the other two.

"No, the bridge just doesn't seem to work no matter what I do." I sighed defeated, dropping my bag next to the mixing table before plopping onto the small couch next to Mitch. Lauren was sat at the mixing board on a rolling chair and Niall was located at a greater distance, on a stool at the other side of the room next to some guitars plopped up onto their stands.

"That's okay, we'll figure it out sooner or later. Maybe we can work on the mixing for the chorus." Mitch offered, patting my shoulder. I smiled and nodded, hoping that working on making the song sound better would finally help me find inspiration to complete it.

"You know that's the primary reason I'm here, right?" I scoffed at the voice of his, irony evident in Niall's tone.

"You know that no one cares, right?" I shot back, rolling my eyes at him. I caught a glimpse of Lauren looking at me in confusion but I paid no attention to her. Instead, I was more focused on the bitter laugh echoing around the small room.

"That's funny. Considering I'm being paid to write songs for you, you should care just a little bit." He crossed his arms, baring his teeth against his bottom lip as he pushed the stool from side to side lightly by the one foot he had planted on the ground. I glared at him, mostly for one specific part of the sentence he spoke.

"You're not here to write songs for me. I'm perfectly capable of doing that on my own. Already written dozens before you came along."

"Fair enough. But you can't figure out this one. So swallow your pride and let me do my job." Though clearly irritated, his voice remained fairly calm. Lauren and Mitch had decided to remain silent, darting their attention between him and I.

"Think you can go along with the song's original style, Mr. California?" I smirked to myself, because I really expected he wouldn't be able to do so. He looked like the kind of song writer that specializes in generic pop songs about sex and partying. And though some of my songs to some could be painted in that colour initially, they were a lot more layered than that. At my challenging tone, he rose up from his seat. He kept his arms crossed, a cocky smirk decorating his tanned face.

"Try me, sweetheart." He so clearly taunted, making my blood boil with his arrogance. I breathed in, getting off of the couch and crossing my arms to mirror him.

"Up for a challenge, pretty boy?" I returned the dry smile he was giving me, deciding that I wouldn't be the one to back down first.

"I'm all ears." He never failed to have a jeering tone in his voice, making me think that this was the only way he could talk.

"You try to come up with the bridge by the end of the session." His eyebrows rose as he listened to what I had to say. I could tell he was intrigued, taking a few steps towards me and the two people sat close by.