28: Without Me

~A

I forgot Niall was still here when I woke up, too dazed from my half asleep state to comprehend anything and remember I was the one that asked him to stay in the first place. I wasn't used to having someone in my bed. Granted, Harry had stayed over a couple times, but it has been months since the last time he did. So it was only logical I'd get startled to see someone next to me first thing the second I opened my eyes, his back turned to me as he breathed in and out deeply. I lifted myself on my elbows, trying to take a peek at his face to check if he was asleep. His eyes were closed, his lips slightly parted and his chest moved in a steady pattern. I took that as I sign that he was still sleeping.

I had no idea what time it was, but the sun was already up and trying to slip through the beige linen curtains of the window. I had the day off today, so I didn't really care to check the clock. Carefully, I lifted myself off of my stomach and got off the bed, making my movements slow to not bother Niall. I checked to make sure he was still sleeping before taking my shirt I had left on the bed and going into the bathroom. I put the loose T-shirt on and washed my face, used the bathroom and brushed my teeth before going to my closet. I searched through a dresser from the singular pair of boxers of his I had, the pair he had lended me that night I stayed over at his place. I left it onto the bed and got out of the room without making any unnecessary noise, leaving the door creaked open a bit before going downstairs.

The first thing I did when I got to the kitchen was get started on brewing some tea. I much preferred it to coffee, especially during periods of rehearsals and constant performing. Once the water was in the kettle, I got started on my daily routine. I wasn't used to having anyone over in the mornings, but I didn't find a reason for me to not go about with what I did most mornings. Once I glanced at the digital clock on the stove, I realised it was still an acceptable time of day for breakfast, since it was barely a little over ten in the morning. I never put an effort in making some complicated breakfast, so I stuck with my usual toast and jam, taking out four pieces of bread instead of two this time for Niall.

And I realised that was a good decision a couple minutes later, just after the toast was done and the water had boiled. Faint footsteps could be heard from the stairs. I pretended like I didn't hear them though as I buttered the warm toast, yet still keeping my ear on any potential sound to understand what he could be doing. It was a big possibility that he was already preparing to leave, either not wanting to stay here longer or having somewhere to be. It would be perfectly normal, he had no obligation to stay any longer, or for at all for that matter. But I didn't manage to pick up any other noise. No fabric ruffling to indicate he was dressing to leave, no footsteps telling me where he was, no sound of the door opening. And I got startled, jolting in place the second his arms wrapped around my waist.

"Cooking me breakfast, petal?" His voice was just as low and gruff as I recalled from that morning at his place, his warm breath fanning over my shoulder.

"I'd hardly consider toast and jam cooking." I nervously chuckled, mostly because of how unexpected his presence was. I don't understand how a person could move so quietly. He stepped closer, his chest pressing on my back as his chin rested on my shoulder. I held in a breath, his arms locking over my stomach to keep me flush to him. This felt a little too intimate to what I was used to. But then again, I couldn't really blame him for making such a move. After all, I was the one that asked him to stay over after I've thrown him out or left him so many times. He knew last night was a step up. This was his response.

"I'm willing to count it as such." He pushed my hair out of the way, burying his face into the crook of my neck and breathing out heavily. I shivered at the feeling, trying to concentrate on the task of buttering the warm bread instead of him.