14: Radioactive

~A

"It was the only way out." He gulped as he spoke those words, for the first time ever showcasing genuine emotion. But his words made absolutely zero sense to me.

"Of what?" I scoffed, unsure if I should believe him at all. His gaze hardened once again, eyebrows creased together.

"A life I never wanted."

Well, look at that. I could relate to something he said for once.

His stare was directed to the ground, avoiding mine. The anger in his tone was clear, but it wasn't directed to me like it usually would be. Deeply interested, I got off the bed and ignored the stabbing pain in my feet from the heels as I cautiously approached him.

"What kind of life?" He looked up as I moved closer, eyebrows remaining scrunched and creasing his forehead. His face wasn't as red as before, but his skin still glistened with sweat. Huffing out a chuckle, he shook his head.

"Nice try. But I'm not gonna tell you about my past so easily." He mused, lips curled into a smirk. He was probably the most stubborn person I have met. But maybe, just maybe I could try and finesse him into letting me in to his secrets. I stood right in front of him, breathing in deeply as I placed my hands flat onto his chest, smoothing my palms over it. I looked up at him through my long eyelashes, pouting my bottom lip just a bit.

"Not even a little bit?" I was very persuasive if I really wanted something. If I was able to crack through a person's defenses, I could have them wrapped around my finger. I guess I wasn't that different from that persona I've created after all. Scoffing as he saw right through my plan, he pushed me to step back by the hips and walked away to the chair where our coats were abandoned, digging through one of his pockets.

"You don't wanna know, and I'm not gonna share my life story with you just because you were a good fuck." He pulled out a red metal lighter and a pack of cigarettes, taking one out before the packet was tossed on the table, the singular cigarettes brought up to his mouth. I scoffed, watching his side profile as he lit the cigarette, taking in a puff of it before the smoke came out of his nostrils, the lighter tossed on the bed as he walked towards the window.

"Do you make it your mission to act like a mysterious ass? You think this is gonna appeal to me more?" I crossed my arms, watching him intently as he creaked the window open just barely, a chill running down my spine at the crisp night air sneaking into the room. He flicked the ash of the cigarette outside before taking another drag, a stream of smoke escaping his parted lips.

"No, but you're still here when you were about to leave. Seems like it's working." He so cockily smirked, I forgot all about how good he was making me feel just a few minutes ago. Completely aggravated, I grabbed my bag and yanked my coat off the chair. His coat that was tossed over mine fell to the floor, with a louder thud than what I expected from the plush fabric.

"I was just leaving." I glared at him, not even bothering actually putting the coat on. Another puff of the cigarette, accompanied with an obnoxious eyeroll.

"Good. Don't let the door hit you on the way out." He huffed, looking out the window.

"You don't have to be rude." I glared at him, though he didn't bother looking back at me as he chuckled to himself.

"I'm not, princess. You got what you wanted, didn't you? Are you gonna pay me as well?" His tone was so harsh, so bitter, like he had any right to be mad over this, like that was not what he wanted, what he surely has done countless times.

"Bastard." I finally snarled, unable to hold myself back. With not as much as another glance at him, I opened the door and walked out, making sure to slam it behind me.