25: Coffee Breath

~A

Light scratching noises woke me up in the morning, the daylight shining into my eyes making me squint. There was no curtain at the window and the blinds weren't drawn, allowing for the sun to shine bright into the room. I searched for the source of the noise that disturbed me, pushing myself on both elbows as I was laying on my stomach. Irina turned to look at me, stood at the door while wagging her tail. She lifted her paw to the door, scratching at it again to show me she wanted to be let out. I smiled, getting up off the bed carefully and going to her. I opened the door and she slid out of the room, trotting down the hall. I closed the door again, walking back around the bed towards the side I slept in.

I climbed back into bed, folding my leg under me as I gazed down at the sleeping man. Part of me forgot he was even here. I froze in place as I took him in, laying on his side towards me fast asleep. The duvet barely covered his waist  and thighs, since I had accidentally hogged most of it during the night. The sunlight hitting his exposed skin made it look golden, the shadows helping define his muscles in his arms. I nibbled on my bottom lip, my eyes traveling along his chest and thick neck until landing on his face. I scooted closer, trying to not disturb him as I took in every little detail of his face, every crease and blemish on his soft, rosy skin. His hair was an absolute mess, probably from all the tossing and turning he did until finally falling asleep. The ashy brown strands were just a tiny bit wavy, unruly and knotted as they stuck out all over the place.

Without thinking about it rationally, or even having an explanation about why I did it, I brought my hand up to his hair and carded my fingers through it, getting it out of his eyes. He stirred just barely, furrowing his brows and puckering his lips even more as he attempted to get more comfortable. I thought I accidentally woke him up, but he seemed to still be asleep. I lied back down, settling on my side close to him as I watched him sleep. I've never seen him look as peaceful, as pure as he did at that moment, his puffed up lips parted as he breathed in and out softly. Silently watching him as he savored the few moments of sleep he had left before the sunlight inevitably woke him up, I began developing this soft melody in my head. It was something odd that happened to me on the randomest of times, coming up with melodies.

Most of the melodies I'd think of would be forgotten in a matter of minutes. This one though seemed to stick the more I hummed it quietly to myself. Keeping my attention on Niall as he kept quietly snoring, I could practically see the lyrics forming in front of me. And it was rare, getting so much inspiration for a potential song out of nowhere. I didn't wanna risk forgetting it. So I carefully sat up and picked my phone up, going into my voice notes to record what I had before I lost it. I hummed the basic melody as quietly as possible, keeping the speaker close to my mouth before I whispered the words into it.

Woke up in your run down house
In your twin size bed
And your old shirt
You've got those big blue eyes
Drive me crazy
Make me fantasize
About you baby

It was barely even half a verse, but it was definitely something I could work on and develop. I saved the voice note and placed the phone back on the nightstand before glancing back at Niall, who seemed to be completely unbothered and still asleep. I shook my head in pure disbelief once I realised that I just got an idea for a song from him again, when I hated the fact that I even validated him by starting one already even if he didn't know about it.

"Guess I'm writing yet another song about you, pretty boy." I smiled to myself, accepting the fact that I can't control where I draw my inspiration from. He was the most prominent person in my life those past few weeks. It made some sort of sense why I came up with what I did.