CHAPTER TWO, the tournament

Later that night Kate was sitting on the porch swing of her house, reading her Percy Jackson book

Later that night Kate was sitting on the porch swing of her house, reading her Percy Jackson book. She glanced up and over to her right when she heard a door open and close next door. She turned her attention back to her book and continued to read until she heard a familiar voice say, "Hey, neighbor."

Kate looks over to her right, smiling upon seeing Jack leaning on top of the white fence that blocked their two houses from each other. "Hi, Jackie." He smiles widely, not realizing how much he missed her call him that until that moment. Kate puts her bookmark in place before she closed her book and glances back at Jack. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to apologize for earlier." Jack replies. When Kate looks at him with confusion, he adds, "You know, when I said the Bobby Wasabi Dojo is a joke." He looks at her with an apologetic expression, shaking his head. "I didn't mean it. I was just mad at Rudy."

Kate nods in realization, sending him a reassuring smile. She was happy that Jack didn't mean what he said because it really did hurt her. She loved the dojo and it meant a lot to her. "It's okay, Jack. You probably need to apologize to Rudy more than me, but apology accepted."

Jack looks relieved and he smiles. "Okay" He shakes his head. "And I'm not really in the mood to talk to Rudy. I'm still kind of mad at him, but I'm glad we're good." They share a smile, staring at each other longer than they should. Jack is the one to break the silence that fell in the air, clearing his throat as he takes his arms off the fence. "Um, I'm gonna head back inside."

"Okay," Kate said, glancing down shyly when she blushed out of embarrassment because of how long they had been staring at each other. She looks back at him as the blush faded, sending him a small smile. "Good night, Jackie."

"'Night, Rina." Jack spoke, waving at her before he turned around and walked back to the front porch of his house.

****

Kate was helping the members of the Bobby Wasabi Dojo with packing things up the next day. She was beyond upset that the dojo was being shut down. Even though she could easily get those two belts on her own at the tournament, they still needed another member and without that member and those two belts they were done.

Kate heard the door open, but she didn't bother to look over as she continued to pack things up with Marge and the boys. It wasn't until Rudy spoke did she look up, surprised that Jack was back in the dojo. "Jack, you're back." Rudy said and he seemed to be surprised as well.

"I'm just here to get my stuff." Jack explains, walking to the lockers the members of the dojo put their stuff in. He looks around at all the boxes with furrows eyebrows. "What's going on?"

"We're closing." Jerry replies. "No Jack, no belts, no dojo."

Jack frowned and he glanced at Kate as if to confirm what Jerry said is true. When she nodded with a sad look on her face, his frown grew deeper.