CHAPTER THIRTEEN, kickin it in china

"Boy, this Chinese food is terrible

"Boy, this Chinese food is terrible." Eddie commented as he, Jerry, and Milton walk over to the table Kate and Jack sat at in the courtyard.

"Well, what do you expect from a place called 'The Scrabby Dragon'?" Milton asked. 

"I'll take one of these fortune cookies." Jack said, taking one of the fortune cookies from one of the bags the other three boys had. "Hard to mess them up." 

"Ooh, I'll take one too." Kate grinned, grabbing one of the fortune cookies. She honestly loved fortune cookies. She always liked to find out what it said and see if it was true.

Jack breaks the fortune cookie in half and reads the fortune out loud. "'You are about to embark on an exciting journey'."

"Oh, sweet, dude. That's a good one." Jerry commented.

Kate then breaks hers in half, furrowing her eyebrows. She squints, bringing the paper closer to read it since she thought she read it wrong. "Weird." She shrugs. "Mine says the same thing."

Jack shakes his head. "These fortunes are just a dumb gimmick to take your mind off how the cookies look and taste like an old man's ear." 

"I can't tell you how I know this, but they taste nothing like an old man's ear." Milton spoke and Kate looked at him weirdly. She shook her head and stood up, grabbing her book she was reading and followed Jack inside the dojo. 

"Guys, you'll never believe it!" Rudy exclaims excitedly, running over to the two best friends after leaving his office. "I just got a call saying that you two are invited to the Junior World Martial Arts Championship in China!"

The two best friends stare at him in shock and laugh in disbelief as they began to grow excited. "What?" Kate questions. She jumps up and down of excitement. "That's awesome!" She had never been to China before and she had always wanted to participate in this championship. The fact that she and Jack were invited to join it meant a lot to her. 

Jack grins. "Are you serious?" He and Kate shared a smile and pulled each other into a hug. A squeal left Kate's lips when he lifted her off the ground and spun her around, causing her to giggle a bit and Jack couldn't help the soft smile that formed on his lips. 

"Awe, so cute." Rudy commented, smiling teasingly at the best friends. 

Jack quickly sets Kate on the ground and they both step away from each other, avoiding eye contact. They both were blushing faintly with shy smiles on their faces. 

****

Now the others were in the dojo, smiling at Jack and Kate. "I cannot believe this." Jack grins at Kate. "We're going to the Junior World Marital Arts Chamionships in China!"

"I still can't believe this is real." Kate admits. She smiles widely. "If this is a dream I don't wanna wake up."

"I was gonna go, but I'm not what they call, you know," Milton frowns. "Good." Kate smiled sympathetically at him.