CHAPTER EIGHT, all the wrong moves

Kate was sitting at a table with her friends in the cafeteria at lunch when Jerry ran over to them

Kate was sitting at a table with her friends in the cafeteria at lunch when Jerry ran over to them. "Guys, I got us the opportunity of a lifetime. We're gonna be rich!" Jerry grinned, setting down an iPod speaker on the table.

"For the last time, your mom's car has a leak." Milton reminds him. "There's no oil under your house."

"No," Jerry rolls his eyes. "I signed us up for The Battle of the Dance Crews competition at the mall." He shows the flyer he held to his friends. "Check it."

Kim's eyes widen. "Woah, first prize wins a thousand dollars."

"It's not just about the money. I've always loved dancing. You know, when I was a baby, my mom hung a disco ball over my crib." Jerry smiled.

Jack chuckles, standing up. "Did it ever fall on your head?"

Jerry looks at him with confusion. "Did what ever fall on my head?"

Kate presses her lips together and nods. While chuckling, she glances at Jack. "Does that answer your question?" Jack nodded in response.

"Jerry, that sounds great, but we're not a dance crew." Eddie pointed out.

"I have the skills and I'll teach you the moves. And if we work hard, we can win this together. Now what do you say?" Jerry asked, looking at his friends with a hopeful expression.

Everyone smiles at him and agrees. "Okay, Jerry, you got yourself a crew." Jack said and he and Jerry bro hugged.

They all stand up and puts their fist to their hand. "Wasabi." They spoke at the same time.

"Whoo!" Jerry shouted excitedly.

****

After school Kate, Jack, and Jerry decided on hanging out at Falafel Phills. The three teens sat in a booth and Kate sat beside Jack who sat across from Jerry.

"Is this just me or these falafel balls greasier than usual?" Jack picked one out of his basket and squeezed it, causing grease to pour out of it.

Kate shakes her head and chuckles. "No, that looks about right." Jerry replies. Since he was leaning back against the booth, he sits up straighter when he notices someone. "Check it out." He points toward the door and Jack and Kate turn around to see what Jerry is looking at to see Dan Brennan talking to a blonde-haired girl by the door. "That's Dan Brennan. He's the best dancer at our school. They call him Smooth." Just as he did that Smooth twirled and leaned against the door smoothly.

Jack and Kate exchange a glance and then glance back at Jerry. "Because he's got great dance moves?" Jack asked.

"And his skin's crazy soft." Jerry responds. "Yo, we're talking velvet."

Kate and Jack turn back to face Jerry so they aren't turned facing the direction of the door anymore. Kate glances to her left when she saw Smooth walk over to them. "Hey, Jerry." Smooth greets, smiling at Jerry. He looks at Kate with a smile. "Hi, Kate." Kate nods and smiles back at him. Smooth looks at Jack with confusion. Jack waves at him with a smile on his face. "Jack."