CHAPTER THREE, fat chance

At the next day of school, Kate was in the hallway, talking with Kim at the blonde's locker, and Jerry and Eddie happened to be nearby since their lockers were near Kim's locker

At the next day of school, Kate was in the hallway, talking with Kim at the blonde's locker, and Jerry and Eddie happened to be nearby since their lockers were near Kim's locker. "Guys, guys!" Upon hearing their friend's voice, the four teens turn to look in the direction they heard Milton speak to see the red-haired boy running over to them. Kim closes her locker as Milton stands in front of his friends with a grin on his face. "Wanna know who just won the district spelling bee?"

Jerry shakes his head in response. Kate rolls her eyes at Jerry and looks at Milton with a small smile. "Who won, Milton?" She asked even though she had a feeling that he won.

Milton smiles. "Here's a clue: M-E."

A confused look forms on Jerry's face. "'Meh'?"

Milton looks at him with annoyance. "It's 'me', you toad."

Kate smiles at the red-haired boy while she holds onto the straps of her purple-colored backpack. "Congrats, Milton. That's great." 

Milton smiles back at her and Eddie points at the trophy Milton held. "What is that?"

Milton glances at the small trophy in his hands. "The trophy I won. It's a bronze bee." 

Kim narrows her eyes at the small trophy. "I've got fillings bigger than that thing."

"I rode a filly named 'perspicacious'," Milton pretends to be riding a horse as he grins. "All the way to the finish line."

Kate looks at him with amusement while the other three looks at him weirdly. "Now come on, who's the man?" Milton asks the four teens, outstretching his arms. "Who's the man?"

"Jack is the man!" 

Everyone's attention is brought to the gymnastic coach who walked down the hallway with Jack and some other students following him as he carried a big trophy. Students started chanting Jack's name and Jerry, Kim, and Eddie joined the group that formed around Jack. Kate stayed beside Milton, not wanting him to feel left out.

"Now," Mr. Burke said once the chanting died down. "Thanks to Jack's routine, we've won our first gymnastics trophy in fifteen years." He handed the trophy off to a student who climbed the ladder that's in the hallway and put the trophy on the shelf where other trophies are put in the hallway for people to see.

Jack shrugs. "It wasn't really a routine. I was just trying to move fast enough so no one would notice I was wearing a unitard." He sheepishly smiled, putting his hands in his jeans pockets. Two boys wearing blue unitards walked by, smiling at Jack and giving him thumbs up. He awkwardly smiled and gave them a thumb up as well. 

"When you're wearing one of those things," Jack explains with an embarrassed expression on his face. "Even when you win, you lose." Kate laughed a bit and crossed her arms, looking at her best friend with amusement. Jack looked over at her upon hearing her laugh and rolled his eyes playfully, knowing she was laughing at him, but he didn't care because he could listen to her laugh all the time, he loved it.