Unwished Gift.

"Thanks Lilly, same goes for me" I reply, even though she's already back offline.

I breathe a sigh of relief.

I was afraid the not involving her might have disappointed her in some way, but thankfully I was wrong. She's a really smart and mature girl, we just got off on the wrong foot, that's all.

I stretch my legs and make to get up from my chair. The fear of losing Jake that I've felt, it's now just a thing of the past.

I decide to go for a run as I have some free time, and I like to keep fit. I go to the wardrobe and i change, putting on a salmon-coloured top and white shorts. I pick up my trainers at the end of the bed and put them on, the trainers are matched with the stretchy top.

In front of the mirror, i tie my hair into a ponytail. I look at my pale face reflected, my sunken eyes are surrounded by dark circles, my cheeks hollowed out. I run a hand over my face as I square myself.

Before that message from Thomas, the message that changed my life forever, I wasn't like this.

Even after Hannah is found, I'm unlikely to go back to the way I was before. The terror that the man without a face brought inside us will never go away, it may ease with time, of course, but it will always be in a dark corner inside us.

A such traumatic experience that has devoured us from the inside.

Hopelessly.

Leaving the room, i retrieve the phone and i check it quickly. So far, no further messages.

I put it inside an arm-mounted mobile phone holder, which I fasten by means of the elastic band a hair's breadth from my elbow, so that I can carry it with me. I can't leave the house without it, and I love listening to music while I run. I take my keys and close the front door behind me.

I start running immediately. A light wind caresses my face, the weather is spring-like and pleasant, the sun high in the sky warms my bones warmly.

I start a playlist. Ed Sheeran's voice singing "Bad Habits" fills the silence cadenced only by the sound of my footsteps on the road.

I increase my speed and regulate my breathing.

I breathe in and out.
I inhale and exhale.

I let out all the anxiety and agitation, all the worries and fears.

Fatigue soothes and takes them away.

I run at breakneck speed, as far as my legs and my breath will allow.

Until I am exhausted.

I stop in a small suburban street, in the middle of the countryside. I look at the landscape for five minutes while I catch my breath.

I take my mobile phone out of its case and take a few photos that I send to Cleo.

She loves running outdoors too, and it has become a tradition to exchange photos of the places we 'visit' while running.