Two hearts and a hut.

It's exactly a quarter past seven in the evening when we arrive in front of the chalet. It's located in a complex of several cottages that are quite isolated from each other and bounded by a simple fence. They are all prefabricated, built of treated pine wood, with a roof of rough slate stone. Several coniferous trees surround the area, in a charming typical mountain location.

We park the car in a small lay-by, right in front of the house numbered with the civic I read on the reservation. Getting out of the car, we're immediately welcomed by the owner: A little old man with a friendly face, his cheeks red from the cold of waiting. On the way, I took care to warn him of our arrival, so that we could immediately get the keys and pay the bill.

Not even the time to set foot on the ground, on the gravel driveway, that we find him in front of us. An outstretched arm and a smile on his lips: "Hi guys, I'm Pino, the manager of the complex, nice to meet you.

Is this a joke?
It couldn't have been a better name, given the location...

"Nice to meet you" We take turns shaking hands, emphatically. He seems like an easy-going, nice guy. I smile broadly at him, returning the courtesy.

"It's always a pleasure to host young couples like yours! Our chalets offer all the comfort and intimacy that loving couples need!" He finishes his introduction by winking at Jake, who blushes and lowers his eyes in response.

I feel myself on fire.
Okay, this is a conspiracy, I'm sure of it.

Why do all the people around us end up putting us in these awkward situations?

Sigh.

And by the way, dear Mr. Pino, you've lost some sympathy points thanks to that last sentence of yours.

I giggle nervously at his words. "Yes, the chalets are beautiful." I cut to the chase, trying to get him right back to his task and skip the pleasantries: "Could you kindly show us the inside of the house?"

"Oh golly! For sure, please follow me." With a slightly wobbly step due to his age, he makes his way to the steps in front of the wooden porch, which leads to the chalet.

I look at Jake and we both turn a hidden smirk before following him. "What an affable, outgoing grandpa..." I comment in a whisper, moving closer to his ear with my hand in front of my mouth.

He laughs at my words, looking away and stuffing his hands into his sweatshirt pocket. "Let's hope he's right..." He whispers softly, barely blushing. Immediately, he speeds up his pace and walks through the front door, positioning himself at the owner's side.

I flare up violently from the embarrassment, breathless.

Jake, when did you get so bold?

I hide my face inside my scarf and speed up my steps to reach them.

The owner immediately shows us the house, which perfectly reflects the photos seen online: living room and kitchenette in one room, bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom, to my enormous surprise, I discover that it is equipped with both a Jacuzzi and the classic shower. Needless to say, Pino spent a good two minutes extolling and praising the qualities of the tub. I had to promptly change the subject, knowing where he was going with this.

Thank you, but my ears have heard too many malicious jokes today.

Give me a break.

We return near the entrance, where the owner leaves us the bunch of keys and concludes with the usual recommendations. "Well guys, here are the keys." Then he points with his index finger the phone attached to the wall: "If you need anything, dial nine: it's the concierge's number."