Secrets under the sunlight.

Then, It happens all of a sudden.

I let myself escape in a cry: "No, stop!!!" Just as I see Jake throw a well-placed headbutt into Thomas' face. I watch the scene in slow motion as I hold my breath, totally gripped by anxiety.

Exclamations of shock follow, along with muffled screams from the girls.

I try to put myself between the two of them, appeasing them, but I freeze in place as soon as Thomas takes a small step backwards. He releases his grip on Jake's collar, immediately bringing a hand up to touch his nose.

"Ouch! Are you crazy? Did you need to become violent?" Thomas blurts, letting out a few whimpers through clenched teeth. He leans forward with his torso in pain, as if to curl up on himself, cursing rather colorfully out loud.

As soon as he gets back up, I examine him closely and notice, fortunately, that he isn't bleeding. What's more, I don't think the blow was particularly hard, though it did catch the right spot, the one that hurts the most.

"Well, you were the one who raised your hands on him first." Dan bursts in response, raising his hands in midair and rolling his eyes. "He did right, I'd have head-butted you twice." He starts to snicker, though he's the only one who got a laugh out of it.

The moment I turn to Jake, to ask him what the hell he was thinking by attacking him, he opens his mouth.

"Sorry man, I felt attacked and I reacted by instinct." He brings a hand to the back of his head, running it through hair awkwardly; He looks genuinely sorry for how he acted, so much so that he reaches over to Thomas, to extend his hand and help him to get back up. "Then you talk shit...and you made me nervous."

"Tsk." He answers in a hiss, chasing Jake's hand away with the back of his hand, in a sort of stymied slap. He returns to his seat, next to Cleo, who quickly approaches him to check on the state of the bruise.

Also Phil sinks back down comfortably on the couch; he had gotten up as soon as Thomas laid his hands on Jake, ready to intervene if the situation escalated. I watch the disappointed expression on his face, as if he'd rather they'd beat the hell out of each other.

I sigh loudly, bringing myself to Jake's side. I run my hand behind his elbow, taking him under my arm and holding onto him. "What's gotten into you?" I ask, trying to modulate the tone of my voice. I don't want him to notice how angry I am; I think he had his reasons for reacting this way, however, I don't approve of the use of violence.

Although it was a moderate, non-powerful headbutt, he shouldn't have hit a friend.

He rests his forehead against my shoulder. "I've lived for years giving myself away, in constant fear of being attacked by my pursuers." He sighs, clenching his fists. "My body moved on its own. The damage was already done, before I knew it."

My ire instantly disappears after hearing his words. It's wrong, okay, but how can anyone blame him after he's lived such a life? Who wouldn't act over the top, dressing in his shoes? He'll probably be traumatized for the rest of his days.

But I'll be there for you Jake, to ease and make you forget, as much as possible, your ghosts of the past.

When it's all over.

"It's okay." I caress his forearm in an attempt to calm him down. Fortunately, a confirmation from Cleo comes as well.

"No broken nose, rest assured." She decrees the response, accompanied by a sigh of relief from the entire group. "It'd be better to apply some ice on it, uhm, to keep it from swelling..." She comments, standing up and turning her gaze to me.