The meeting that will decide their fate.

DRIN... DRIN...

I let a soft moan escape from my lips, rolling over on my side to get back to sleep, ignoring the deafening ringtone echoing through the room.

Mhm, is that my phone ringing?

Still in my sleep, I stretch a hand out from the sheets, reaching for the nightstand. I close my phone between my fingers, dragging it towards me, under the covers.

"Mhmpff... Hello?" I answer in a mumble, more like a babble than a meaningful word.

Wait, why the heck did I answer the phone without checking who it was first?

Fuck.

What if it was supposed to be Alan?

I hold my breath, jumping up in one leap to sit on the mattress as my heart skips a beat. In a split second, I'm totally awake, finally giving up the numbness.

"Hi... Were you sleeping by any chance?"

Fortunately, what I hear is Lilly's voice; I can hear her high-pitched giggle over the speaker as soon as I answer with an annoyed grunt. But still, I breathe a sigh of relief to hear that it's her and not Alan.

Or worse.

"Uhm, what makes you think that?" I ask her, not disguising the sour tone in my voice and the irony behind the question just posed.

"Well, maybe your zombie-like voice, for one." She retorts annoyed, in a huff, then bursting out laughing.

"Mhm thanks Lilly, you're always so nice to me." I mumble sarcastically, sighing before adding: "What time is it?"

"It's already 4:30, sleeping beauty in the woods." She continues to tease me, before pausing briefly and becoming serious again. "We're on our way now, five minutes and we'll get to the meeting point, same as yesterday."

Anyway, why didn't the alarm I had set earlier go off?

Bah.

Could it be that I didn't hear it? Or simply, I turned it off in my sleep?

"Okay, keep your phone close, we'll send you the updated location." I affirm, turning my upper body toward Jake, still hiding blissfully under the covers. "Same recommendations as yesterday: jot down the address and set it on the car's navigation system, because the message will self-delete after a few minutes."

"Sure, no problem. I'll wait for your message." Lilly confirms that she understands, before exchanging greetings and disconnecting the call.

Okay, better wake Jake up quick.

Or maybe, there's no need.

"Mhm...are you and Lilly done messing around?" I see him turn around in the bed, laying on his stomach. Only his hands come out of the sheets, quickly going to the sides of the pillow to press it against his head tucked under it.

How cute is that?

"C'mon, it's time to get up!" I exclaim out loud, taking the momentum to launch myself over Jake's back, playfully. I attempt to uncover him, pulling off the covers, but he quickly manages to block my efforts.

"Hey, don't even try." He blurts out, but without masking his amusement as he rolls back supine over the mattress. Still holed up under the sheets, he merely reaches out his arms towards me, to quickly grab me by the hips. Although I try to playfully resist, he manages without any trouble to drag me underneath, along with him.

"Jake come on, don't throw a tantrum..." I burst out laughing heartily as I watch him print a pout on his face. He yawns conspicuously, barely visible in the dimness of this, newly created, blanket hut of ours. "We need to send the location to the others, they're almost here." I poke him with my finger, pressing it repeatedly against his cheek, playfully annoying him.