This is the only way trust me

Three weeks after going to the office of Human Resources, he is still worried about Lindsey, doctor Nerducci has not improved what so ever and her state keeps deteriorating, her organs have started to fail, she is now receiving dialysis, she is connected to a ventilator to help her get the sufficient amount of oxygen her body needs to not shut down completely and against all advise, Kyle has continued tracking all changes and steps the team has done since he left.

He has a couple of theories, but after his stunt with Human Resources, the hospital's administration has been keeping a very close eye on him, waiting for him to make a mistake so they can fire him.

In less than a month he manages to piss the big dogs off his hospital and that is something that will come back to bite him sooner rather than later. After lunch he walks by the room where they have Lindsey, he sees her parents and walks in:

"What are you doing here," Mr. Garcia asks as he walks in. Kyle crosses his hands over his chest and takes a deep breath "I'm here because I worry your daughter is running out of time Mr. and Ms. Garcia"

Mr. Garcia stands up and comes face to face with Kyle "We're only here because they promised us that you were the best and then, then they tell us that you want to go all crazy on our daughter taking her off of her meds" Mr. Garcia gets agitated and raises his voice "DO YOU HAVE KIDS, HA, DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS TO NOT SLEEP BECAUSE YOUR CHILD IS IN PAIN, BECAUSE SHE CAN'T BREATH, DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS TO KNOW THAT SHE MAY DIE?" Mrs. Garcia grabs her husband's arm "ROLAND THAT IS ENOUGH"

Kyle lowers his hands to his sides and gives her a knowing look "Mrs. Garcia, it's alright" he turns to look at Mr. Garcia "Mr. Garcia if I may; I am not a parent, but I do know what it feels to not be able to sleep because a child is in pain, especially if that child was under my care, I know what it is to worry because I haven't been able to sleep since they took me off this case, this is one of the reasons I took this specialty, to ground myself, to remind myself life is precious and delicate and that I am only capable of so much. Doctor Nerducci is a good physician, he is, but I am simply just better, and I mean that most respectfully there is, this is not about me, or him, this is about your daughter, which is why I ask you, please, let me finish what I started, let me save your child"

At that moment doctor Nerducci, Millen, and the director walk in, the director smiles devilishly, he gave them one reason they were looking for to fire him, he just wanted to play this out, so he stands in front of Kyle and asks

"Kyle Sandoval, care to explain what you're doing here?" Mr. Garcia looks at the director "He wants us to put him back in charge" Kyle stand in the middle of both parties and looks at the Garcias "You're the only ones that have the authority at the end, and not to sound harsh, but your daughter is dying, look at her, that girl inside that bubble, that is not the same girl that arrived here, maybe you can't see it, or you are choosing not to see it, but she is dying and at this rate, you will have to bury her if lucky in two months, let me try this my way"

The Director steps forward and points Kyle towards the exit "Ok, that is enough, Sandoval, you've already given me the one reason to fire you, don't make me have to do it" They start pushing him out of the room, Kyle continues speaking as he walks backward "They won't be able to save her, they haven't helped her at all, my way may be extreme but it's an advice from one of the best Diagnostician in the whole world"

Doctor Nerducci sights "He's right" Nurse Millen looks bewildered "What?" the director looks straight at Doctor Nerducci "Nerducci, what are you saying?"

Nerducci steps forward and faces them all "I'm saying that this was a mistake, taking him off the case was a mistake." He looks at the director "I only agreed to take charge because I thought I could save her, and saving her, that would put me on the map, my name would've gone down in the history books, but he, he knows what he has to do, he has been with her since the beginning, I've run his hypothesis and I have failed, because he thinks in a way none of us can. Your daughter is out of options and she will die, at least with him, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did everything you could do for her"

Mr. Garcia stands in front of Doctor Nerducci "NO, IF SHE IS DYING, HE SAID WE GOT TWO MONTHS WITH HER, IM NOT SENDING HER TO BE KILLED SOONER" Mrs. Garcia, being the voice of reason in her family, lovingly puts her hands on both cheeks and stares at him "Roland, look at her, she is in pain, that is no way of living" he shakes his head "I SAID NO"

Mrs. Garcia pulls him closer, down to her level "AND I SAY THAT WE LET HIM TRYYY, WE CAME HERE FOR HIM, SHE IS DYING AND SEEING HER LIKE THAT IT'S BEEN SLOWLY KILLING ME TOO, JUST LET HIM TRY." Seeing both parents arguing and how coming to a decision was slowly bringing them apart, Kyle interrupts them "I'll tell you what, if she dies under my care, if I can't save her, and you want to sue me, you can do it and I won't even fight you on it" he runs his right hand through his hair and aggravated says "JUST LET ME TRY AND SAVE HER, THIS IS HER LAST CHANCE BEFORE SHE IS TOO FAR GONE."

Doctor Nerducci, Nurse Millen, and the Director all look at him, they've never seen this side of him, he wasn't just doing this for the fame, he was concerned, frustrated, and scared, even the Garcias were capable of seeing the fear in his eyes. So, with that, Mr. Garcia turned to look at him "Fine, but if you kill her"
Kyle cuts him off "If I kill her, I'll hand you my license myself"

Mr. Garcia nods at him "Ok then, save my daughter, for your sake and hers"

As Kyle and Mr. Garcia shake hands, the director clears his throat "Wait a minute, I haven't authorized any of this yet" Kyle looks at the director "And you don't have to, this is the parent's decision and I agree to do it." The director moves out of the way "Ok then, go, do your best Sandoval"

Kyle heads out of the room and straight to his office, as he gathers Lindsey's file the rest of the team steps in alongside Doctor Nerducci. Doctor Nerducci stands at the door and says out loud "If there is anything I can do, please let me know"

Kyle raises his head as he leans over his desk "There is, I need you to tell every single way you failed, and then, if you may, Nurse Ander is coming with a new set of blood tests, can you tell them to hand you the results STAT?." Doctor Nerducci gives him an awry look "My failures, and labs, that's what you need from me? I was thinking that maybe we could work together on this."

Kyle smiles at him "I know you have someone in the lab that passes your tests ahead of others, that's why I need you to go personally, and as for working together, that's where your failures come in, so we don't waste time going down the same routes you already cleared"

Nerducci nods at him, Nurse Hailen comes to Kyle's side "what can the rest of us do?" Kyle looks at her as Nurse Ander hands Nerducci the tests tubs and he exits "well, let's go through all of the results we have in front of, lay them by tests and let's set a pattern in changes, maybe there is something we haven't noticed just yet"

The team spreads around the room with different results in hand and ordering them chronologically, Nerducci returns, and Kyle calls him over to his desk "so, where did you fail last?"...

———

"Fear, it's the thing that holds us back, it's that boundary, that barrier that keeps us from moving forward, from doing what we crave, what we desire. But that's not all it is, for fear is the thing that reminds us we are not invincible, we are not unbreakable"

———

Kyle is back on the case, will he and the team find the problem in time to save Lindsey, or has her fate been set in stone?

To find out what happens next, continue reading the coming chapters.