Prologue: Escape

☣️Warning! The following story contains foul language, violence, creature feature and sexual content. Those who are under 18 are warned to avoid. Enjoy the story...😸

(Ally's outfit throughout the story, including black boots)

"Are you sure you want to do this, Ky?" Ally asks hesitantly as she holds a large, brown lock of her sister's hair in one hand and a sharp knife in the other.

Krya, her 14-year-old sister, lets out a long, heavy breath, and nods, "Do it." She states, "And remember, my name isn't Krya anymore. It's Jack." She adds.

Ally sighs, not liking that her sister decided to change herself so they could get through anywhere and people wouldn't think twice about two kids on a settler's ship. All they wanted was to be left alone so they could start their lives over.

Ally sighs again and holds on tightly to Kyra's...Jack's lock of hair, "Ok, this is going to hurt." She warns and begins to cut her...his hair.

Jack winces in pain but bites his lip to stop from crying out.

"Augh! So... we're set?" He asks roughly and groans out a slight cry.

"Yeah, everything is paid for. We're homebound to New Mecca at first light." Ally states as she continues to cut off more of Jack's long hair, making it short as a boy's hairdo.

"Ugh! Easy!" Jack winces and sighs, "First thing I'm gonna do when we get there is get a job at the mines. Shouldn't be too hard for a boy."

"I really hope you know what you're doing. How long do you think it'll take before they realize you're not a boy?" Ally asks as she manages to get the last strain of hair.

Jack sighs in relief and brushes his fingers over his new short hair. He gets ups up and turns to look into the dirty mirror as they stand together in an abandoned building.

"Long enough till we get our lives straighten out the way we want it." Jack says and gives his sister a supporting smile.

Ally moves and drapes her arm on Jack's shoulder and the other around his neck, "Just hope you know what you're doing." She repeats, still unsure how the outcome will be for them if they get caught.

Jack wraps his arm around his siter's waist, giving her side hug, "We're gonna be ok. You'll see."

Ally sighs out and reaches to grip Jack's chin, "Gonna get use to this look...'Jack'." She giggles with her new brother as they playfully shove and tickle each other.

Tomorrow is a new day for the siblings and neither of them know what was waiting for them on their adventure.

After the makeover, Jack was the first to sleep. But Ally couldn't. The two of them rested on the old mattress with raggedy blankets. All looks down at her sister, now brother, and thought about how they could end up like this.