Chapter 8: I Warned You

Riddick moves to join Johns, leading the way like he was supposed to, but inside he was holding back the Beast inside him as it snaps like a rabid dog. Walking past Johns, he holds up a hand to block out the bright light of the flare.

Johns, on the other hand, had an idea, but he needed someone to take the fall for it. Knowing Riddick, he can't say no and he wouldn't mind getting some more blood on his hands.

"Ain't all of us gonna make it." Johns states.

"Just realize that?" Riddick snorts and senses Johns following behind him. The others weren't too far behind, but far enough not being able to hear the two of them chat.

Johns grins, "Seven of us left. If we could make it through the canyon and lose one, that'd be a feat." He states.

"Not if I'm the one." Riddick snorts.

"What if you're one of six?" Johns smirks as he moves to walk next to Riddick, but perks when he hears the creatures closing in again and shines the flare towards the sounds.

Riddick stops for a second and arches a brow at him, "I'm listening." He says and continues on the path.

Ally rubs her sore face as she keeps her eye on Riddick, wondering what he was planning. Kyra holds on to Ally's arm as they walk together.

"What are they doin' up there?" Kyra asks.

"They're talking about the canyon, I think. How to get us through." Imam suggests.

"Johns is losing it. You know that, right?" Ally says and looks over to Fry. "We can't trust him anymore."

"He's got the gun and the firepower. What do we have?" Fry scoffs, pointing out how they can't overpower Johns.

Ally looks over to her with a scoff, "We have Riddick."

Johns continues to float his ideas in Riddick's mind, "Battlefield doctors decide who lives and dies. It's called triage."

"You kept calling it murder when I did it." Riddick points out.

"Either way, I figure it's something you can grab onto. Sacrifice play. Hack up a body, leave it at the start of the canyon...like a bucket of bait. Trawl with it. Got extra cable on the sled. We drag the body feet behind us." Johns explains the plan.

Riddick had to admit, that's an impressive idea, "Nice embellishment."

"I don't want to feed them. I just want to keep them off our scent." Johns scoffs.

Riddick turns around as if he was scanning the area, but gives Ally a discreet wink, "So which one caught your eye?" He randomly asks.

Johns frowns at him and pats him to turn away from them, "Don't look. Christ, what the hell's wrong with you?"

Ally leans close, "Imam." Ally whispers lowly for all to hear, "Imam, slow down. Just a little more space between them."

"What's going on?" Fry asks.

"Johns is planning to have one of us killed." Ally whispers.

"What?" Kyra gasps.

"He wouldn't." Imam frows at her.

"Look at how he's acting. He's an addict. And he'll do anything for money. He's gonna make Riddick do it. He may be a merc, but he doesn't want innocent blood on his hands." Ally points out.

"How do you even know?" Fry frowns at her.

"It's a feeling. And you can see he's planning something. You all saw how he acted when he found out about Kyra."