Chapter 5 : Beat the Eclipse

Fry didn't want to waste time. They had to get the power cells. Who knows when the eclipse will start.  That was what crept fear in everyone's heart.  When.  

Ally couldn't stop watching the sky and the horizon.  Fearing that the eclipse could sneak up on them all at any second.  

"Enjoying the view, Beauty?" Riddick whispers in her ear, causing her to gasp and jump.  

She sighs in relief, "Stop doing that." She places a hand over her rapid heart and rolls her eyes at him as he chuckles.  She frowns when she notices him carrying a bowl and a shiv. "What is that?" She frowns at the green substance in the bowl.  

"Found it in one of the cabinets in the bathhouse." He holds up the bowl and sniffs it, "I'm guessing it's some sort of shaving gel." He says as he moves to sit under the wing of the skiff.  He sniffs the gel and grunts at how old it smelled.  "In case you haven't noticed," He rubs his head which carried fuzz of hair.  "This doesn't happen by miracle." He smirks and begins to coat his entire head with the gel and begins to shave.  

Ally scoffs and watches him, "Aren't you nervous about the eclipse?"

Riddick begins laughing, "Me?  Nervous?" He snorts and wipes away the gel off of the shiv.  "Have you forgotten already, Beauty?  I can see in the dark." 

"But so can those creatures." She says with worry in her voice.  

He sighs and stops laughing, "True."

"And we've seen what they can do.  From the sounds...who knows how many there are.  And that scares me to death.  Seeing how all those people..."

"Ally..." Riddick cuts her off and reaches for her hand when she was close enough, giving her a firm grip. "I don't make promises that I can't keep.  And I don't make them often.  Trust my word when I say: I promise nothing will happen to you...ever." He says strongly and determinedly. 

Ally sighs as her heart flutters at those words, something inside her believed him.  But should she?  Could she?  

Suddenly, a very sick looking Johns stumbles out of the skiff.  He leans on it for support then bends over to vomit.  Riddick chuckles and lets go of Ally to finish his grooming.  

"Bad sign. Shaking like that in this heat." Riddick says as he runs the sharp shiv over his scalp. 

Johns voice wobbles, "I thought I said no shivs

Johns voice wobbles, "I thought I said no shivs." He gags and vomits again.  

Ally notices Johns hands shaking violently.  She knew that sign.  He was an addict.  

Riddick holds up the shiv with a snort, "Shivs? This? This is just a personal grooming appliance." He smirks and continues to shave.

Johns didn't have the energy to argue, he needed a hit and he needed it bad.  He scrambles away and goes off to find his stash.