2:4 The Gathering Storm

Colonial One, Press Conference

Day 178 Since the Fall

The press conference on board Colonial One went on for over two hours. Commander Belzen was shelled with questions about the main fleet, Avalon, and the survivors on Picon. The Harvesters were not mentioned since Admiral Adama didn't want to scare the people of the fleet with a new enemy potentially worse than the Cylons. Although Commander Belzen didn't like the press he answered every question they asked.

After the conference, all fleet Battlestar Commanding and Executive officers were ordered to meet on Galactica to discuss future plans.

Battlestar Galactica

Wardroom

"Since Admiral Adama did not approve of my plan for a direct assault on the Cylon Colony, I made a new one. Even if we draw the Cylon fleet out of the colony it's still too powerful for all five of our Battlestars. However, instead of targeting the colony right now, we should target their fleet itself," Commander Belzen said.

"If what you say is true Commander, that there's fifty baseships out there, how do you possibly imagine us attacking fifty baseships with only five battlestars?" Commander Tigh asked.

"This plan is also risky, but not impossible," Admiral Adama said, "do you have anymore ideas Commander?"

"Yes. We can avoid the Cylon fleet as best we can until we reach the main fleet or Avalon. However the Cylons will follow us, there's no doubt about that. And when they arrive in force with the Colony ship and fifty baseships it will be a bloody battle; especially if they round up the remaining Cylon ships from the Cyrannus system. In which case any defense will be much harder. The defense grid around Avalon is still not one hundred percent ready. All resources are being diverted to the creation of new cities for survivors to live in and even repairs on Sanctuary have been slowed. However, we must slow down the Cylons before we head to Avalon. At least destroy half of their current ships before we do anything else," Commander Belzen replied.

"From your reports Commander, Admiral Stryker has more than enough ships and personnel to stop any kind of attack, but right now we need focus on our current situation. How do you plan to destroy the enemy fleet, with fifty baseships in it?" Admiral Adama asked.

"What about raiding attacks?" Commander Lee Adama interjected.

"Raiding attacks?" Commander Belzen asked.

"You mentioned that your forces destroyed several cylon ships with guerrilla style attacks," Commander Lee Adama said.

"We did, but it's not a perfect option here. The Cylons have been keeping a majority of their fleet together in groups on patrol duties. And after they lost their Resurrection ship and its escorts they won't risk a group small enough for us to attack like before. However, I have a plan that might work to our advantage with their new strategy of grouping their baseships together. It would be incredibly difficult, but it will work and we can move the civilians out of the combat zone afterward," Commander Belzen said.

"Alright Commander, we're listening," Admiral Adama said.

"Our long range scouts discovered what we believe to be a black hole, judging from it's strong gravity field that our scouts barely managed to escape. We can lure a large Cylon patrol fleet into the black hole," Commander Belzen said.

"Luring enemy forces into a black hole? If our ships detected the difference in standard cosmic gravity field then there's no chance they won't detect it as well and jump right out," Commander Tigh said.

"Hmm they probably would since the Cylons have better FTL and dradis systems. However, we can fool their sensors at least for a few moments; long enough to lure them in. They will no doubt fanatically want to destroy our fleet when they see five battlestars, and especially three Mercury class battlestars, in an apparently exposed position. It will be a very tempting target so they will jump directly to us. But they won't be jumping to the real us; they will be jumping to decoys," Commander Belzen said.