🌻N¹

Seonwoo woke up with the familiar smell of his favorite teokkbokki.

“Mommy!” Seonwoo happily greeted the middle aged woman standing in front of the stove.

The woman looked back at him with a fond look on his face. She opened her arms and embrace her son.

“Happy birthday, my sunshine,” his mother greeted him back.

“Thanks, Mom. Is Dad not home?”

“He can't make it this week, Sunoo, but he promised to make it up next time.” His Mom said.

Seonwoo faked a smile. Not because his Dad couldn't celebrate his birthday with them, but because she called him Sunoo.

“Are you ready for school? I've made a lunch box for you and Jungwon,” the woman said, straightening Seonwoo's uniform.

Seonwoo shrugged, thanking his Mom before sitting down in front of the food.

His parents were rarely home, they are both surgeons and is always busy. Leaving Seonwoo and his sister on their own, with the help of their maids.

“How are you? You're not skipping your medicines again, right?” His Mom asked, sitting in front of him.

His sister was currently out, sleeping over with his friend's house.

“How's school? Have you made any other friends than Jungwon?” His mom curiously asked.

Seonwoo nodded, “I've met a very impolite person, Mom. I needed to remind him every single time that I'm older than him. Can you believe that?”

His mom listened attentively, watching fondly at how adorable Seonwoo gets when telling stories. His expressions were very dramatic and funny.

“And he often mispronounce my name, can't blame him though. He's still learning Hangeul,” Seonwoo continued. “I don't know if he's doing it on purpose or he just really can't pronounce my name properly, and the Hyung part!”

His mom smiled, “Oh, a transfer student?”

“Yes, his name is Ni-ki, but his real name is Riki,” Seonwoo said.

“What about the things with Sunghoon?”

Seonwoo's mood suddenly dropped as he look up to meet his mother's gaze.

A knowing smile spread across the woman's face, her eyes filled with worry and sadness.

“I'm trying really hard,” Seonwoo admits. “I am loosing weights, attending gyms and studying hard with the thought that he might...”

Seonwoo stiffled a sniff, blinking his eyes to stop the tears from falling. It's been months, he promised himself he will move on. But the urge to still hold on to a hope that Sunghoon will be back is stronger.

He just couldn't let it go.

The woman reached for her son's face and wiped off the few tears that escaped.

“You have a lot of time to move on, sunshine.” His mother voiced out.

Seonwoo nodded.

“Enough of this, it's your birthday. Invite your friends here for a dinner tonight, okay?” the woman said, trying to ease the atmosphere around the house.

Seonwoo forced a smile to his lips, before continuing to finish his food.

+++

Seonwoo wore a sulky pout since the morning. It seemed like Jungwon forgot about his birthday and didn't even greet him.

“Why, what happened to you?” Ni-ki says as soon as he sat across Seonwoo on their lunch table.