3. You're My Sunshine After All

The Sun shone brightly in the midst of daylight. The light barely passed through the curtains. The mattress felt so comfortable. Jake shifted his figure slightly. And finally, he gradually gained his consciousness.

"Mr. Shim?"

Jake could made out some of the surroundings. The room felt occupied. The bustling surrounding helped Jake to slowly open his eyes. Letting out a groan, he finally sat down.

"Mr. Shim? Can you hear me?" The doctor snapped his fingers in front of him.

"Yes...," Jake replied slowly.

The doctor nodded, understood. Then, he wrote down some notes on the paper. And with that, he had completed his tasks for that day.

"It appeared that his emotions like fright, pain, anxiety, or shock can cause blood pressure to drop. This is the reason why he fainted last night. It could also caused when something frightens or horrifies him, like the sight of blood."

Both of his parents nodded slightly. After explaining the whole situation, the doctor excused himself.

After the doctor was out of sight, they returned their attention back to their son. Letting out a sigh, both of them sat down the mattress. However, Jake tried his best to distract himself. He felt sorry for them. It's not like he purposely lied to them but he did that so they wouldn't be concerned about him.

"You should've told us yesterday," Mr. Shim started.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to concern both of you. I've been doing fine lately so I thought it wasn't that significant."

Mr. Shim shook his hand. He reached out his hand and ruffled his brown hair. Even in the slightly dimmed room, his brown hair glimmered in the faint sunlight.

"I'll sign you up with a psychiatry."

"But dad..."

"Son... It's for your health too. If it affects your health then we should take concern of it. Understood?"

Jake just sat in silence as a tacit agreement.

This scene had always been ordinarily familiar for Jake. It's not a peculiar matter in their family.

It had always been like this since he was a toddler. To be more precise, they thought he wouldn't even surpasses the age of ten but then he was twenty currently, living like a normal human being. To be exact, his condition actually gradually improved as the course of the year. But it wouldn't make him become normal like other teenagers or adults. That was the reason why they keep their eyes on Jake most of the time.

"Jake... Can you stay here by yourself? There is a nurse and a doctor we've assigned to take care of you. We're so busy presently but we will surely check out on you after work."

Without any hesitation, Jake nonchalantly nodded. It wasn't like he hadn't been there alone before.

It had been fifteen years since he was struck by the disease. His heart condition worsen. And now, he's laying in the same room.

Last summer, he was sent here too. But last summer wasn't really that bad. And in fact, it went swiftly.

However, this summer was different. The exhaustion engulfing him is draining the hell out of him. Although the room he occupied noting that he was sick, but the vast view from his personal room was fascinating.

Bang, bang, bang!

"Come in!"

It was silent for a moment. But then, Jake suddenly jumped in shock as the door swung open with a massive force showing Sunoo with his arms filled with flowers, chocolates, and some more snacks.

"Hi sick boy!" Sunoo joked playfully. Jake laughed nonchalantly.

"Sunoo! How did you know I'm here? Did my parents tell you about me?"

"Well..."

"Well?"

"I mean yes. Your parents told me to accompany you while you're here. You'll be dead bored here."

"Haha. Thank you."

Jake peered at Sunoo with pleading eyes. And Sunoo approached the boy with bizarre expression decorating his face. One eyebrow lifted.

"The couch is empty though...," Jake suddenly uttered.

"What? You want me to sleep there? No way!"

"Oh-"

"No way I'm leaving you here alone!"

"Oh! I thought you don't want to sleep here..."

"Well, I got to spend my time with you here."

Jake laughed at Sunoo's behaviour. He was his sunshine after all. He shone lights for him to keep being strong. He can't leave his friend like that. Jake approached Sunoo and hugged him suddenly.

"Jake...?"

"Thank you..."

Sunoo could heard some faint sobs coming out from his back. In a matter of seconds, he quickly closed his ears.

"Jake! No! Don't! I'll cry if you cry!" Sunoo informed.

Jake wiped down his tears. Looking at Sunoo as he shone a bright smile to the younger. It's a pleasure to meet him. To become his friend. To have a friend like him.

Even though in such state, many tried to avoid him but Sunoo, he was the only one there helping him. Chanting his name like a spell as Jake fall unconscious on the ground. And the day since, he had put his trust on Sunoo. His sunshine.

Hurting isn't the best feeling. But he healed those scars and filled those empty void inside of his heart.

What a wonderful angel.

"Well... Let's set up for our slumber tonight. We could watch movies on that massive telly there."

"I sometimes forgot your family are millionaires..."

"But you never forget my favourite snack, do you?"

"Eww... you like raisins, don't you?!"

"Haha. Yes, I do."