Chapter 1 - The Vessels

Rosalynn's POV

I smiled to myself once I saw the clock strike twelve, midnight. As quiet as can be, I slipped out of bed and into the serene hallway of my home. The wooden floorboards creaked under my weight with every step I took. I peeked behind the door of my parent's bedroom. Hearing my father's soft snores, that was all I needed to proceed to my plans.

Grabbing a coat and a bouquet of Chrysanthemums, I opened the window next to our front door. I couldn't use the keys as it was on my parents' nightstand. I was afraid one small jingle of it would wake up one of my parents.

Hopping out of my house through the window, I instantly felt the cold wind on my face. My brown hair danced with the breeze. The only source of light was the fireflies illuminating the fields. I collected some of the flying creatures and put them inside a lamp.

After looking back to check if anyone was following me, I made my way to the woods.

Despite it being in the middle of the night, I wasn't the slightest bit scared. Maybe it was because I've been to this route so many times that I memorized the places it would lead. Swatting away small branches and watching out for roots of trees that could trip me, I arrived at my destination.

There was a small area in the woods occupied by a pond. The fireflies reflected in the clear water as well as the foggy sky, devoid of stars. I looked for a familiar blonde - a friend that knew this place aside from me. As expected, I caught sight of a bright yellow-haired girl that sat underneath a tree. Her brown eyes were the color of warm wood and the rich soil of the Earth. It gave off a calming aura.

Noticing me, she smiled and stood up. "Rosalynn. You're finally here."

"Of course, sorry for keeping you waiting." I walked towards her. The lamp in my hand rattled as I did.

"It's fine, I also just got here too." Christina had been my friend ever since we were children. Today marked the fifteenth year of our friendship.

This was why we sneaked off to meet. Why at night, you ask? Well, at night, it was only us. We could do whatever we want without bumping into people. And the pond in the woods - this place - was our usual meeting spot that no one knows.

"Hey," Christina spoke as she got something from behind a bush. "Since today is a special day, I got you these." She handed me a handful of roses. My eyes widened at this.

I gasped and laughed. "What a coincidence! I got you flowers too as a present." I then showed her the Chrysanthemums that I hid behind my back.

Her laughter combined with mine. We were trying to keep the volume down as best as we could to not wake anyone up. Our laughs tuned down into giggles until our stomach hurt from it. We exchanged the gifts and went off celebrating, Chrysanthemums and Roses in hand.