Chapter 5 - Newspaper

Rosalynn's POV

The marketplace was the busiest and loudest part of the village. Sellers attempted to convince people to buy their products, children played and laughed gleefully, and chitters of passersby filled the air.

Christina walked beside me, taking interest in the products that were displayed from time to time. As for me, I was looking for somewhere quiet to relax. It seemed daytime isn't the best time to talk, given that we live in a small village.

"I think we can move our conversation later at night, yes?" Christina spoke, noticing the crowd around us.

"I agree." I pinched the bridge of my nose. "We will sound insane to these people who have no clue what happened to us last night."

At the center of the village was the market, and at the middle of the market lies a fountain and a bench to sit on. Christina and I took this opportunity to rest after walking for so long.

Then, we heard the newspaper boy announce something attention-catching. "Earthquake last night left cracks! A person was spotted standing on the roof! The earthquake last night left cracks! A person was spotted standing on the roof! The earthquake last night..." He kept repeating.

I locked eyes with Christina. "Did you..."

"... Hear that?" She finished. I stood up and brought out a couple of silver coins from my pocket.

I approached the boy. "Give me one, please."

He gave me a newspaper and I gave him the money. I read the black ink that was inscribed on the gray paper. I didn't pay any mind to the others, I focused on finding the one about the Earthquake.

It was written here that something fell out of the sky and landed nearby the village. That was the cause of the Earthquake. There was a picture of a small group of investigators that were currently studying the object that fell from the sky, although it was blurry.

I flipped the page for any more information. My eyes scanned the writings.

'The investigation team is currently identifying the source of the Earthquake. Next on the news is... Someone has been spying from rooftops? This-'

The last thing I saw were shiny, breathtaking purple eyes from the picture before a strong gush of wind made me lose my balance. I lost my grip on the newspaper and it flew away!

"Oh, no! Ugh." I reached for the paper, but it continued to be blown away by the wind.

I looked around and saw a couple of people were knocked down, baffled at the strength of the wind. I glanced at the boy and saw him pulling his hair in frustration when his stacked-up newspapers also got snatched by the wind. He started to stomp on the ground, dejected that his business for today was over so fast.

"That was... Strange." My friend commented. "Where did that come from?"

"Don't ask me." I sighed, thinking that I wasted my money in buying the newspaper.

"Also, what was the thing that fell from the sky anyway?"

"I don't know either. The news said the investigators are still identifying the object."

"I see. And about the Earthquake... It almost lead us to our deaths last night." Christina mumbled. I pursed my lips into a line and nodded.

None of us spoke to each other for awhile until I had an idea. I grinned and was about to tell Christina when I found her already staring at me, her eyes full of suspicion. "I know that face. What are you planning now?"