Chapter 2 - The Fall

Christina's POV

Rosalynn and I walked side by side, chatting amongst ourselves. We talked about our childhood days, but it was mostly Rosalynn and her pranks.

"Do you remember the time you switched the sugar with salt? Your family ended up coughing all over the place." I snickered at the memory.

Rosalynn's hand flew to her mouth, her shoulders were shaking. "That was a good one! When my parents found out though, they made me eat salty foods as a punishment for three days."

"I remember my mother scolding me for that one too since I was an accomplice in the prank." I scratched my head as I recalled the words my mother said to me that day.

"Or do you remember that time I faked my wounds using tomatoes for blood?" Rosalynn said. I frowned slightly at that.

"I almost had a heart attack when I saw you."

"That just means my prank was thoroughly planned and looked believable." Rosalynn held her head proudly.

We didn't know when, but we were now standing in front of a cliff that could be found when you exit the village we lived in. Still dark with little light, we made sure to keep our distance from the ravine. I looked up at the gates and houses of the village. It was quiet and a bit eerie as if this place was abandoned. But it was peaceful.

There was a boulder planted to the ground near the cliff. It was almost as big as me. I marched towards it and climbed up, sitting on the cold surface of the huge stone. The river and wildlife that was seen over the cliff looked lifeless, given it was nighttime.

Rosalynn didn't join me on top of the boulder. Instead, she leaned on the rock and admired the view with me. We didn't utter a word as we basked in the silence of the night, just enjoying the presence of each other.

Because of this, I was visited by sudden and random thoughts.

I met Rosalynn when we were three years old. Now that we are eighteen, we've been friends for fifteen years now.

I sighed at that. Time flies. It seems it was only yesterday when Rosalynn and I used to fight for who will get to play with the swings in the playground. In the end, we learned what taking turns were.

I could see Rosalynn chuckle softly. She must also recall something funny within the memories of our childhood. Then, the smile vanished when Rosalynn went rigid.

"What was that?"

I was confused by the question. "What do you mean?"

Rosalynn bent her knees and her forest green eyes became sharp, a signal her guard was up. It was only then did I feel a shake from the ground. It started as slow and gradually got stronger to the point the edge of the cliff started to crack.

Let me remind you - we were next to a rock that was placed near the end of the ravine.

It happened all so fast. The crack sent us falling. Unable to process what was happening, I sat still as I was falling to my death. When I realized the great distance between the ground and me only did I let out a blood-curdling scream.