Chapter 15 - Recorded Events

Rosalynn's POV

"A recorder?" Christina repeated, the new word was foreign to our ears.

"Yes. With this, you can capture anything that is happening at the moment, and you can replay it anytime you want."

Not gonna lie, that sounds incredible.

Seeing our faces, Victor showed us the backside of the object, revealing multiple buttons. He then proceeded to teach us how to use it. "First, you turn it on."

He clicked one of the buttons. A light appeared on the 'screen' with symbols, I didn't know what they stood for. I later learned they were for batteries, the time, the minutes of the video, and the storage.

"Wait," I said. "And why are you telling us this? To show off you have an endless amount of money?"

I didn't know where all my words were coming from, but the tone of my voice would make a person turn ill towards me. Christina frowned at my accusation while Victor raised his hands to calm me down.

"It's not like that," The man in front of me defended himself. "I'll just get straight to why we're here. I wanted to express my gratitude."

Christina tilted her head. "What do you mean?"

"What you are about to see next is a 'recording' from last night." He said. "I thought I saw somebody hiding in the bushes. I didn't want to inspect who it was in case it was an ambush. If someone wanted to steal the iron sphere, then this camera would capture their faces and we could hunt down the criminals."

Christina bit her lip as her head lowered. She was caught by the investigator even under the night where everything was dark? He must have a keen vision to do that. I didn't even know she had been seen.

We watched as the events from yesterday night played. I was in awe of how accurate it was - from the appearance of the bandits to Lily's shadow figure saving us from them.

"When I played the recording earlier, I was surprised by the events that unfolded." Victor chuckled as he looked at Christina. "My favorite part was the twist where you didn't run away but chose to fight."

Christina's face turned bright red as she stuttered to say the right words. "I-I couldn't just... Let them get the sphere! I - uh - um... Stealing is wrong so..."

I resisted the urge to laugh. Once I do, I knew I wouldn't be able to hold back. Victor placed his chin on the palm of his hand, his elbow rested on the table, his eyes becoming softer the longer he stared at Christina.

"Yes, it is bad." Victor agreed. "But what amazes me is that you didn't ignore them. You actually chose to fight them."

"You can count on Christina to be righteous in every way." I stated proudly. "No evil deed gets past her."

"Stop it, Rosalynn." Christina whined, her gaze averted ours. "You're exaggerating."

"I'm not, though." I countered. I remembered the feeling of wanting to get away from the bandits while Christina bravely stood against them. It was an unforgettable experience.

I saw the waitress from earlier carrying a tray of what seemed to be our food.

"Here are your orders!" The waitress announced cheerfully.

Steam was rising from our food, indicating it was still hot and fresh out of the stove. Victor and Christina took a whiff of their dish and sighed in delight. I did the same as them.

I picked up a spoon and dipped it in the broth. I gently blew on it to avoid setting fire to my mouth. I sipped it from the silverware and concluded.

Lily's food is still on top.