Chapter 12 - Father

Christina's POV

I arrived back to my home with a full belly. The moment I opened the door, my mother came running to me at full speed.

"Where were you, Christina?! Did you know how worried I was when I saw your bed was empty?! I almost fainted!"

I inhaled deeply. How could I be stupid and forget that I live with my mother? The one who would greet me in the morning first. Rosalynn was probably experiencing the same right now.

"Mother, let me explain." I brushed her arm soothingly upon gazing at how stressed she was. "Sit down and we will talk."

My mother grabbed a chair that was used for sewing - a hobby of hers - and plopped down, still clutching her head. I knelt next to her and rubbed my thumb on her hand.

"I went off... Exploring with Rosalynn last night." I begun. "We found some very intriguing things. And also met a new friend while doing so. That was why I didn't return home - our new friend offered to let us sleep in her house as it was very late when we were done hanging out."

I stood up and spun around to show my mother I wasn't hurt. "See? I am fine."

My mother sighed deeply. She walked towards me and gave me a hug. She was slightly shorter than me so she rested her head on my shoulders. "I trust you, Christina. And I know that you are aware of your limits. You know what is right and wrong, so I have no problems in letting you go out into the world. But if you don't at least inform me of what is going on with you... Can you really blame me for being concerned?"

I bit my lower lip. My eyes stung from the realization of how I almost scared my mother to death because I couldn't do the least and tell her about the things I planned.

"I'm sorry, mother." I hugged her back. "I didn't mean to alarm you. I promise that if I'm going somewhere, I'll let you know. But I want to tell you that you shouldn't be so worried about me."

I broke the hug to look at her. "I'm an adult now. I won't be reckless to do unthinkable things."

Says the hypocrite who fought bandits with weapons only using a branch. If it weren't for Lily, I wouldn't see another day.

"I will, daughter." My mother sighed. "It's just... After losing your father, I couldn't bear to lose you too."

My father died when I was only a year old. He was unlucky enough to catch an incurable disease. It was so long ago and I was still basically an infant when he passed, so I couldn't recall what he looked like or even his voice.

"You won't lose me, mother." I smiled and puffed my chest. "I am very tough, you know! Bad guys won't break me."

My mother blinked at me and shook her head, although I heard her giggle softly. "You and your father are so much alike. As you grow up, I am reminded of him through you every day."

I turned to the full-length body mirror that was beside the sewing machine. My blonde hair cascaded down the middle of my back, rivaling the sun in the sky as my brown eyes reflected its light.

"Is that so?"