Chapter 11 - Hidden Meanings

Rosalynn's POV

I stared at the feast placed on the table. We were in the dining room. Lily insisted we eat first before going on our way. I didn't expect this much food when she said that.

I noticed Lily lived alone. Her house was five times bigger than ours, yet I didn't see a single servant who worked for her. Does that mean she cooked these meals by herself?

With one last plate, Lily clapped her hands and beckoned for us to sit down. Her eyes glimmered as if she was waiting for a long time to show off her skills.

Christina and I took a seat next to each other and across Lily from the table. The aroma of chicken, pork, turkey, beef, vegetables, and soup wafted through the air and entered my nose. My mouth watered and my stomach growled, impatient to eat. Everything looked appetizing.

"Woah." Christina said in awe. "The portion sizes are huge... And they seem delicious."

Lily grinned widely at the compliment. "I never had the chance to cook for somebody else since I am always alone. Now that both of you are here, I'm not missing this opportunity. It's the first time ever someone's been in my home so, why not be a good host and offer them my best recipes?"

I was reaching for a chicken tender but halted midway. "Alone? What about your parents?"

Lily's lips formed a line, and her face became unreadable. The way her eyes quickly lost their shine made me sit up straight. I did something wrong and I don't know how to correct it.

I struck a nerve. I know it.

Lily composed herself after releasing a sharp breath. "It is... Complicated. I don't exactly have parents... And I lost my caretakers when I was only a child."

My heart started to break hearing that.

"But..." She looked at me and Christina, piercing deep into our souls. "... I know they are with me right now."

My friend and I glanced at each other. We didn't know how to react to this. One thing's for sure, though - Lily was lonely all her life - and it was sad she lost the people dear to her at a young age.

She believed her caretakers were always with her, even as of now as we speak. I found that sweet and wholesome.

Narrator:

Little did Rosalynn know what Lily truly meant by that.

Rosalynn's POV

"They are, without a doubt, always by your side." Christina spoke. "I know that our loved ones will never leave us. We can't see them, but their presence will be the voice they need to tell you they are okay."

Lily was quiet for a moment, taking in the words the blonde-haired girl had said. Then, she grabbed the tall, translucent pitcher beside the bowl of corn soup.

"Would you like some orange juice? They were harvested fresh yesterday."

I extended my hand - the one holding a cup - towards her, indicating I wanted the beverage. She poured me the drink and the cup was full to the brim. I tried my best not to shake so much as I brought my arm back to me. I didn't want to spill any juice on the table.

After that, we ate in comfortable silence. Lily kept peering at us, and whenever she did, a small smile would escape her lips.