Chapter 13 - Men in Suits

Rosalynn's POV

After an hour session of getting reprimanded by my parents, I was out on the field, harvesting potatoes, onions, and carrots out of the ground. They were mature enough to be plucked out, but since the other crops were rather large, it was hard pulling them. I was usually the one to bring the produce to the marketplace with Christina to sell them, but my parents made me do this as punishment.

Grumbling, I reached for the green of the carrot. When I couldn't pick it up in one go, I sighed.

Another big one.

I made my other hand help in pulling the vegetable out. Gathering all my might, I staggered backward at the force of the pull. I looked at the size of the carrot and it was bigger than my head.

I turned to the basket behind me where I put all the harvest and noticed there were plenty of vegetables that were in very good condition together with their unbelievable measurements.

I smiled and thought to myself, The vendors will surely put in a good price for these.

I was about to get back to reaping crops from their soil when I suddenly heard a voice call my name, "Rosalynn!"

It was Christina. She was being held by men in suits and a car - the first advanced vehicle to ever be made and could only be afforded by rich people - was not too far behind her.

I left my station and ran towards my friend, anxious about what these unknown people had done to her. I glared at them once I was near.

I swear if I find out they hurt Christina, I will-

I was then blocked by one of the men. I raised both of my fists, ready to fight them. We stared at each other, daring the other to make the first move. No one will stop me from getting Christina out of their filthy hands, not even this giant of a man.

Another car pulled up beside the first one. The driver's door opened and there exited Victor. He looked mad as he yelled, "You idiots!"

The insult wasn't directed at us but at the men in expensive uniforms.

"I told you to go retrieve the girls for me, but I didn't mean for you to take them like this! Do you even know how bad you look right now to them?"

Victor stormed to the man holding Christina. He yanked my friend towards him and stood in front. Victor continued to lecture the man for not thinking ahead and considering our feelings. I would be lying if I said I wasn't amused by all this.

When he was done, he faced Christina with an apologetic look. "I am truly sorry for my men's actions. I mean no harm to you."

My friend simply blinked at him, speechless. When Victor didn't receive a reply from her, he spoke again. "As a token of my apology, allow me to offer you my services."

I made my presence known by standing next to Christina. "And what is that supposed to mean?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

Victor gestured for his men to get inside one of his cars, which they immediately did. Then, he opened his own. "Let us talk somewhere more comfortable than outside, yes? Let me clear up this misunderstanding."

My eyes flitted to the basket full of my harvest. "Only if we stop by the marketplace first."