Chapter 6 - Unknown Object

Christina's POV

"I can't believe you." I hissed. "This must be the worst one yet."

"You mean the 'best' one yet." Rosalynn whispered, a smirk plastered on her face.

It was nighttime once again. Instead of going to sleep like a normal person, we went off to join the investigators who were studying the crash. Here's the thing - the investigators don't know we were with them.

Hiding behind a thick bush, we watched as a group of people gathered around a large, circular thing. We couldn't determine what it was as they covered it up. We could tell it must've been heavy, though, seeing it left a huge hole in the ground.

The one leading the team was a young man in his early twenties wearing a long, leather coat over a button-up dress shirt and black pants with thin white stripes. He had a classic and long mullet that flowed just at the nape of his neck.

He was quite famous in the village. He was the rumored 'genius'. Despite being so young, he was already promoted into a leadership position because of so many cases that he had accomplished.

I think his name is... Victor Dawson.

His eyebrows were furrowed. He looked distressed by something. When one of his men spoke to him, he sighed deeply, a faint mist was released from his lips, the reason being the cold air of the night. He glared at the ball that sat on the cracks.

"It must've come from the sky, Zach." He told his worker. "How did it form a crater around it then? If it rose from the ground, there would be debris that showed it was pushed upwards, not this."

As they talked, my eyes slowly glazed over the covered-up item. I didn't know what, but something about it gave me alarms of danger. I didn't like the feeling one bit.

They talked for a long time. He occasionally raked his dark blonde hair back and grunted in stress. His blue eyes fought against our dark surroundings, looking for maybe a clue on how to figure out what the odd circle was.

"Are you sure there's nothing in or on this thing?" He asked, lifting the cover slightly to take a look. His worker answered by shaking his head as no. Victor's shoulders slumped at that.

"We'll resume this investigation the following day. Rest for now because tomorrow, we'll be exploring new perimeters to look for a lead." Victor and his men left the site, but the head investigator stopped. When he was all alone, we made eye contact. I didn't know if he was looking at something else, but my eyes caught his blue diamond-colored ones.

He squinted his eyes and I grew nervous. I was hiding at the outer side of the bush while Rosalynn had the shade of a tree protecting her. I was afraid he saw me and I was going to be in trouble.

Then, he scratched the back of his neck with a deep frown. He grabbed something from his bag and squatted on the ground. The movements from his arms showed he was working on something. He stood up and left after that.

I was curious on what that was about, but I didn't want to stray far from my friend to check it.

When we made sure he was gone, Rosalynn and I slowly neared the unknown object. Each step had me breathing heavier and heavier, dread weighed in my mind.

The obscure sphere was not larger than us, yet it was very intimidating. It looked like a black hole under the night. And to think this caused an Earthquake was very disturbing.

Rosalynn lifted her hand to take the cloth that hid the true appearance of the circle. I was about to slap her hand away, ready to tell her the investigator might find our fingerprints on it until we heard several footsteps from behind us.