Chapter 3 - Saved

Rosalynn's POV

The lamp fell out of my hands, and I was about to fall as well.

I was in mid-air swaying in every direction because of no solid ground keeping me upright. When Christina screamed, it caught my attention. I looked over to the girl and saw her eyes wide in panic and fear, mirroring my expression.

My breaths were becoming ragged, it was unnoticeable with the wind hitting my body. I was desperately trying to look for a way to somehow soften our landing, hoping we can live after this.

I felt helpless. There was nothing to grab unto, nothing to do. Unknowingly, tears had formed in my eyes. I saw that the flowing river grew bigger and bigger, the distance shortening each second.

Everything seemed to go by in slow motion.

Is this the day I die? Will this be how I'll die? But Christina-

When her name popped into my mind, I looked over to her again. Her tears flew up in the air as she sobbed. She looked like she was bracing for impact and had accepted her fate.

Suddenly, the urge to save her swelled up in me, even though I haven't thought of a way yet how to do that. The gears of my brain revved to life, thinking about how to rescue Christina that I momentarily forgot I was falling too.

I closed my eyes and made a wish - no, a prayer. I bargained to whoever was listening for another chance in life, in exchange that I will do all the good deeds that I could to help the world and its people.

It was all useless... Or so I thought.

When I opened my eyes, I saw an image of someone flash before me.

A girl with red eyes like roses and hair the color of darkness. She was falling like us, but she had a calm expression in contrast to our scared and panicked ones.

She observed me up and down before mumbling words that sounded jumbled. "I̶ g̶i̶f̶t̶ t̶h̶e̶e̶... M̶y̶ l̶i̶f̶e̶."

She disappeared when someone had grabbed me by the waist. Christina was also taken by surprise as she shrieked when the person caught her too. The next thing we knew, we were back to the safety of the ground.

Since it was dark, I couldn't see who saved us from our deaths. I collapsed on my knees and breathed the needed oxygen. I blinked the wetness out of my eyes as I choked on air.

The fear I felt was no more. It was replaced by countless questions as I was still thinking about the whole thing.

The ground shook... We fell and we were saved... Christina-

My thoughts were interrupted by my friend's whimpers. She was still crying and trying to catch her breath. With shaking legs, I attempted to walk over to her, wanting to assure her it was okay. I successfully knelt to her side and hugged her.

She hugged me back just as tightly. She inhaled and exhaled deeply to calm herself down. Back to being a silent night, we just sat there, thankful that we were still alive and were given another day to be with each other.

Narrator:

From the roof of a house stood a silhouette with purple eyes, her black hair waved down to her hips. She watched as the two friends shushed each other, whispering words of comfort. The lips of the mysterious woman arched upwards. "At last, the goddess has chosen."