Chapter 5

Daniel Atlas' Point of View.

The tour around the area was quick. Celine showed us around her cute little town, pointing out important stores or routes to places such as the park, the central shopping area and the train station. I mostly kept to myself, trailing behind the group a bit and taking everything in, along with taking her in.

I mean, what was up with her? She would go from playful or serious with people like Tuesday or Merritt (or really anyone besides me) and then she'd see me and just become...annoying.

Not to mention, what did she mean by being unable to stand "guys like you" and wanting me to keep away from her?

As if. As annoying as she was, our work was going to keep us together. Plus...well...she's interesting.

I usually know within a few seconds of meeting a person just how to annoy them and get under their skin, but with her...she's almost a mystery. She'll fight back, not the type of person to let me walk over her. And that's going to be a challenge when it comes to getting our job done.

But at the same time it draws me to her, almost as if...

No, that's stupid. The more I think about it, the more it's a no. She's some annoying little girl who thinks she's so smart, such a great magician, and probably has been sleeping with men left and right. She's never going to follow instructions and argue with everything I say; only succeeding in pissing me off and getting in my way. I'm only curious about her because of the challenge she provides and that's it.

"The Eye," Celine started, drawing our attention as we arrived back at her house and surrounded in the living room with a book in her hands. "That's what this is about. The legend of the secret order born in ancient Egypt, the ones who perfected sleight of hand to steal food from the Pharaohs and then gave the food to the slaves. The Eye were the original ones to use magic and illusion to even the scales of justice. For countless years they've been known as the keepers and protectors of real magic." She began reading from a page she was turned on, her hair falling into her incredibly light brown eyes. "'Candidates for initiations must follow a series of commands with blind obedience. For only by taking a leap of faith will their eyes truly be opened to the world of miracles.' The shows, the stunts, everything in the blueprints...it's just an intricate dangerous initiation into the Eye."

"Has anyone ever mentioned you have the most captivating voice?" Merritt threw at her, and I would've snorted had I not seen the very faint blush on her cheeks.

"Many times," Tuesday's voice rang out, and her head popped around the entryway, "but she never listens. I'm going out."

"Have fun," Celine called back absentmindedly, scanning the pages of her book, "be back by 11."

"Yes mom."

"I always thought the Eye was a myth," Jack mumbled quietly when Tuesday left.

"Someone's bringing the myth to life..." Merritt mused, and I watched a grin spread across the Canadian girl's face.

"Well, how would you all feel about bringing another myth to life?"

"That obviously depends on the myth, so if you'd care to explain what you mean in your oh so captivating voice," I mimicked, earning a glare from Henley.

"You stutter a lot," was Celine's vague response, resulting in an eye roll from me. What is her problem?

She snapped the book closed and looked up at us. "Anyway, what I meant by that is...well...it was more of a passing thought really. You don't have to agree," suddenly her snarky demeanour became almost bashful as she scratched the back of her neck. Hmm...maybe she's bipolar? "But I was thinking that we could go off of The Horsemen mythology."