Chapter 3

Martac rolls up to me and I get into the passenger seat, snagging Ida's helmet from the backseat. I rest it on my lap, cradling it carefully.

"Do ya know what yer doing?" Martac asks cautiously.

"Do I ever really know?" I counter

"Ya at least have a general sense of what yer doin'"

"And I do... kinda" I smile, staring at the helmet in my lap, fiddling with the silly looking wings. "He's not like I remember his brother"

"He's... stiffer" Martac's tone is strained "he'll be trouble"

"That's kind of what I'm hoping for" my smile grows and we don't talk for the rest of the ride to my place.

When we arrive at my building, I get out, wave and Martac rolls down the window to tell me to "be safe". Mitch would be happy that I still have a 'brother' around.

I have the rest of the day to kill so I get my phone out to mess around.

There are texts I must have missed while teasing the hero.

Ella
Oh my god!

Ella
Total hottie of a hero! I got his number and everything!

Ella
Well his business card but it's a start!

Ella
Thanks for setting us up! I owe you a drink! Are you free tonight?

It wasn't my intention to get her a date, but I guess if that's what transpires, it's out of my hands. Why does it make me feel jealous?

Tenya must not have caught up to us while we were in the house since he was busy flirting with Ella.

I toss my phone and his helmet onto my bed angrily before putting together some lunch. I watch the news on my laptop to see if my crimes have been reported to the media. They haven't been. Strange.

If Tenya reported what he saw at the bank, it would surely be on the news. Maybe it wasn't documented in time to hit the afternoon news rush. I'll have to check back later.

After I clean up my lunch mess, I take one look at the disaster that is the rest of my place and decide it's a problem for future me.

On my laptop, I check my 'work' email for any new requests. Really it's just an address that Martac set up for me that goes through different servers so my IP address is secured and no one can trace me through it.

There are an overwhelming number of requests, some of which I immediately reject for being too... icky. I may be a villain, but I still have some morals. They're grey and flexible, but they're there. I won't help someone kidnap or murder an innocent person.

Only one case did I willingly agree to help a villain into a house who had murderous intents. The man in the residence had been proven to take and murder children, but he had so many officials on his payroll or blackmailed that he never got charged. All I did was show up at the house and open the door, then Martac and I walked away while the disgusting bastard's screams echoed down the street. I did that job for free.

I schedule a couple of jobs for next week and recheck my agenda for the rest of this one. I accidentally double booked today and I want to make sure I avoid that for the rest of the week. I'm in high demand, but I only schedule out a month at most to keep myself sane. If I wanted to, I could book up for the next several years, but I don't want to tie myself down in case I get offered a job that sounds really interesting.

Nothing in my email is particularly exciting, but money is money so I make sure I picked the ones that are the most quirk for my buck.

I forward the plan to Martac to send out the confirmation emails to the clients. I don't like talking to people so I made it part of Martac's responsibilities.