Chapter 22

"What is it?" The two men ask in unison as I hide the screen from them.

The background picture is Fergus getting kissed on the cheek by Chris. I know the phone has been here for awhile, so I need to get Chris' side before I go blabbing. It could have been taken when Chris and Martac weren't together, but if Chris cheated, Martac will be crushed.

"....I can't show this to you." I don't want Chris to be dragged into an investigation, even if he is a cheater. Healing quirks are so rare and he uses his to do so much good that I can't help sully his name.

"Y/n, you're holding official evidence. If you do not show us the phone, you can be charged with obstruction of justice." Tensei explains, rolling closer to me and I take a step back, running into Tenya who must have moved behind me at some point. My head is reeling and I don't know what to do.

"Do you know who's phone this is?" Tenya asks softly, breath fanning my neck. I can't face him. If I make this choice and choose a villain over him, there's a good chance I'll lose him.

"Yes" I say under my breath, turning to face him, hoping he sees the pain on my face.

"Is it your big friend?"

"No"

"Who are you trying to protect?" Tensei is angry behind me and I feel like I'm doing irreparable damage to our relationship.

"Please" Is all I say. Tenya's face cracks and it looks pained and disappointed. I don't know which part hurts me more.

"We can't let this slide" Tensei states "I don't owe you anymore and Tenya certainly doesn't after all he's covered up for you."

"Tenya?" I ask, my voice sounding small even to my ears. I search his face, tears welling up with my desperation.

He closes his eyes and resets his forehead against mine. "I'm sorry" he gently puts his hands over mine, pulling the phone out of my fingers. I deflate, as he turns opens his eyes and looks down at the screen. "You are protecting this guy?"

"Not the one you know. The one next to him. I know him and he's a good guy."

"I don't think your word means much" Tensei's words cut but they're not wrong.

"We will not do anything to hurt his reputation unless he deserves it." Tenya promises. "Who is he?"

"His name is Chris Hoffson, he's a healer for a rehabilitation center." I step around Tenya and head for the door. "He's in a relationship with my 'big friend'."

"Where are you going?" Tenya asks gently when I reach the door.

"I need a moment. I'll meet you at home" I say without looking back at him. I do take a peek at Tensei and see that he's relieved. I guess he didn't really want to arrest Mitch's little sister.

"Call me if you need me" Tenya says as I leave the room and back track, opting for the main door instead of the underground entrance.

I walk for awhile, just trying to clear my head from the wave of emotions that have washed over me this afternoon. I end up at Martac's place and let myself in, not even bothering to knock.

"Hey lass!" Martac calls when he spots me "what brings ya here today"

His Scottish accent is the comfort I need right now and a slow smile spreads across my face, helping melt away the heaviness I was feeling.

Chris steps out of the bedroom shirtless a few moments later and I flop down onto the couch next to Martac.

"Ya hungry?" My friend asks.