Chapter 6: Some days, you're the best thing in my life

Natasha furrowed her brow in concentration as she attempted to ice the cake she had made. Her face and hair were dusted with flour and she had honey on her apron. For someone as calculated and precise as Natasha Romanoff, it would seem natural to assume she was a good baker; and that was true, however it didn't mean she enjoyed it. Yet here she was, decorating a Russian Honey Cake for a certain Sokovian's 24th Birthday the following day.

It had been 2 months since Natasha had been thrust into Wanda's erotic fantasies of the two of them and neither woman had mentioned it. Natasha had distanced herself from the younger woman initially, recoiling when they touched and keeping their time together limited to training only. She had managed a week of self-isolation before the Little Witch had wormed her way back into the red head's life. Normalcy was restored quickly and the two women spent most days together, talking and eating, training and driving but never discussing the tense undercurrent between them.

Natasha couldn't admit it to herself but the Sokovian was constantly on her mind; the way her body felt pressed against her own on the mats, the way her eyes sparkled when she looked at her, the way her musky perfume set a deep burning desire alight in her veins.

Natasha lied for a living and lying to herself was no different; all of her feelings were pushed into the far corner of her mind never to be examined.

Vision entered the kitchen and observed Natasha quietly.

"It is customary to give someone a cake on their birthday" Vision stated plainly.

Natasha looked up and laughed.

"That is correct. Do me a favour? Keep the Little Witch out of the kitchen for the next hour until this is done please"

"Of course, we were just about to leave for the day anyway." Vision replied.

"Oh, doing anything special?" Natasha feigned indifference but was genuinely curious about where the android was taking the girl.

"Wanda wanted to do something special to commemorate her first birthday without Pietro and requested I accompany her. Although what it is, I do not know."

"Well, have a great time whatever you're doing" Natasha said, feeling her stomach twist uncomfortably.

Natasha added the finishing touches to the cake, feeling quite satisfied at how it turned out, and placed it in the fridge to chill.

-0-0-0-

The day went by quickly and was punctuated by the arrival of multiple avengers and colleagues; Tony, Pepper, Rhodey and Thor had all turned up, along with Ant man and young Peter Parker.

Natasha was lounging in the living room with the rest of the group when she heard the others greet Wanda and Vision. She didn't bother to raise her eyes from her magazine and waved a lazy hand in greeting.

Wanda hurried over to Pepper, embracing her affectionately and saying a quick hello to Tony. Peter gave Wanda a big smile and continued talking to Sam about his new flight patterns. Natasha watched as Clint ruffled Wanda's hair and Thor wrapped a strong arm around her. It was definitely safe to say that Wanda was now part of the family. The group had collectively taken her under their wing, making extra effort to ensure she felt safe and welcomed.

"Enjoyed your day out kid?" Tony asked loudly.

"Yes, it was nice thank you" She said with warmth in her voice. Tony and Wanda had managed to resolve their issues and now spent quite a lot of time together, the older man treating Wanda as a surrogate daughter almost.

"Care to divulge where you went?"

"Not particularly, no" Wanda replied, blushing slightly as the group watched the exchange with interest.