Chapter 11: Sometimes you're a stranger in my bed

"Ms Romanoff, Ms Maximoff, glad to see you made it back safely"

"Fury, what are you doing here? It’s 3am" Natasha asked tiredly.

"I thought I'd tell you personally that I expect a debrief at 9am." He stated, his facial expression hard to make out in the dim light outside the compound.

"Of course you do. I'm just grateful you're allowing us to sleep first" Natasha shot back bitingly, Wanda remaining silent throughout the exchange.

"Goodnight ladies" He said lightly, his deep baritone voice carrying in the silence of the night.

They were both exhausted from a full 24hrs travelling again and Natasha was genuinely thankful that they weren't expected to debrief the team right away.

They had spent a further night in the Maldives after the private function with Muller and had then arranged their travel home, feeling that they had exhausted all avenues of investigation at the island.

Neither woman had mentioned the night they had spent together and it hadn't occurred since. Natasha was unsure if Wanda regretted what happened between them but didn't particularly care. It was just sex to the Russian; no strings, enjoyable, passionate sex. Natasha had successfully scratched her itch and fulfilled her desire for the Little Witch as far as she was concerned. Wanda Maximoff was out of her system. The only thing that unsettled her slightly was that she couldn't seem to get the brunette out of her head. At random intervals during the day an image of Wanda moaning her name would pop into her head; every time they touched she would feel electricity pulse through her veins. She hadn't really done casual sex without a purpose before; not willingly pleasured someone for the sake of it or taken pleasure herself in doing so. But for some reason taking Wanda over the edge was one of the most erotic and blissful moments of her life. She needed some space.

They walked into the compound quietly, their bags still in the car waiting to be unpacked the following day. Luckily FRIDAY didn't feel the need to announce their arrival to the entire house.

Everyone else seemed to be asleep. Well, almost everyone.

"Luka!" Wanda half shouted, half whispered.

The grey feline had grown a noticeable amount in the week or so since they had seen him; his fluffy tail and green eyes even more pronounced. He pranced straight up to Wanda and rubbed against her legs, purring contentedly as she scratched his head.

"I have missed you my boy, shall we go to bed?" Wanda asked him as he sauntered over to Natasha and decided to slink around her legs too.

"Hey little dude." Nat greeted, stroking his back softly.

"You're glad to have your momma back huh?" She asked as he continued to purr.

"Come on Maximoff, go shower and then sleep. We'll only get a few hours as it is." She directed, reverting to her mentor role as they entered the lift.

"Goodnight Natasha" Wanda said quietly, her sparkling blue eyes looking at Natasha with something she couldn't identify. Sadness? Affection? Tiredness? Definitely tiredness.

"Goodnight Wanda"

Natasha closed the bedroom door behind her and leaned against it, letting out a deep sigh. She stripped off and slipped into bed, vowing to shower in the morning instead.

She fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow, her dreams filled with flashes of pale skin, brown hair and ocean eyes.

Natasha blinked sleepily and looked at the clock with bleary eyes. 6:12. Three hours sleep.