Chapter 8: Talk so pretty, but your heart got teeth

Natasha awoke to an empty bed and a throbbing in her temples. She could handle her liquor better than most but last night she consumed no water and copious amounts of vodka.

She needed to fix things with Wanda, but apologising and making amends wasn't exactly Nat's strong point.

She groaned and stood up slowly. First things first; shower and breakfast.

She walked into the bathroom and came to a halt as she saw Wanda drying herself with a towel.

"I, erm, sorry" she said awkwardly, averting her eyes.

She hated how Wanda managed to turn her into a stuttering mess when she was used to being so sure of her own actions.

"I am done here, the shower is all yours Agent Romanoff" She said, coldness in her eyes, as she went to leave.

"Wanda, wait"

The Sokovian stopped and turned to face the Russian, waiting. When Natasha said nothing, Wanda began to speak.

"You know, every time we have shared a bed, I wake up with your arms wrapped around me. This morning was no different."

"I'm sorry."

"For holding me?"

"No. For last night. I'm not very good at this"

"Not very good at what?"

"Apologising"

"That is true, you are not" Wanda laughed and Natasha felt the weight on her heart lift a little.

"Just know that it won't happen again. I won't interfere in your life just as you do not interfere in mine. I am your friend and mentor and I'll try to act like it."

"And if I want to see Carol again?"

Natasha's stomach clenched.

"If you want to see Carol then I'm happy for you. But if she hurts you then I'll kick her ass, how's that?"

Wanda chuckled and Natasha could breathe again.

"That sounds ok. Shall we get breakfast?"

"Sure, you head downstairs and ill shower then meet you there"

Wanda left and Natasha contemplated their conversation. She knew numerous things had been left unsaid. They hadn't discussed Natasha kissing Wanda, the jealousy she displayed, the fact that if Steve hadn't interrupted them then they would have slept together. Wanda made her thoughts clear the night before; she didn't think Nat was attracted to her but kissed her to prove some kind of point.

Natasha thought it would be easier to leave Wanda thinking that.

Natasha slid next to Wanda at the table and began helping herself to bacon and eggs.

"Coffee?" She asked, scanning the table.

"Here" Wanda said pouring her a cup.

The only Avenger sat round the table looking slightly human was Vision, which was ironic.

"What time did you guys go to bed?" Nat asked.

"Captain Rogers, Agent Barton and Mr Stark went to bed at around 5am" Vision said conversationally. 

Natasha chuckled to herself and shook her head; no wonder they looked so ill.

"That’s enough out of you Vision" the billionaire said between mouthfuls of toast.

"Tony don't take it out on Vision just because you have a headache" Pepper admonished firmly.

"Yes dear. Sorry Vision"