Chapter Four

Much to Aloura's dismay, Annie had invited him to a drink on the house, to which he declined, but his denies were ignored as Annie turned to Aloura and asked her to fetch a menu.

''Order whatever you like honey. It's on the house'' Agnus smiled at Elias, ''Aloura'' she turned to the scowling girl and nodded in his direction. Aloura knew what Agnus was doing, she had always pestered her about getting a 'husband'.

''Annie, I'm with Kayden.'' Aloura would remind the woman every time she tried to match her with a customer.

''Don't let you boyfriend stop you from finding you soulmate'' she'd laugh, apparently, a phrase her granddaughter lived by. Aloura scowled as Agnus pinched the girl discreetly, a silent threat to get the girl to act properly. Aloura sighed and moved past Agnus, grabbing a menu and placing it in front of Elias.

''What can I get you today?" she asked him after a moment of his eyes scanning the menu. Agnus smiled and moved to the back of the store, leaving the two unattended.

''I'll have a black coffee and avocado and chicken bagel" Aloura noted his order, before asking if he'd like anything else, "that'll be all Bella"

Aloura raised an eyebrow at the nickname, as she went to retreat the menu, but made no effort to correct him. "Alright, it'll be out in a moment.'' She placed the menu where she'd retrieved it and walked towards the tray of baked goodies she'd discarded when Elias had rudely interrupted her. They settled in the silence, but she didn't miss how he'd watched her the entire time and scowled at her whenever their gazes met.

They remained in silence until Elias had finished his meal, Agnus stalked over to them. ''Did you eat honey?'' she'd asked him, and he smiled softly, mumbling an embarrassed thank you. ''oh, Aloura why don't you pack some of those pastries for him to take?"

Both Aloura and Elias went to protest, but Agnus shushed them, and stalked over to Aloura to complete the task herself. She reached for the largest takeaway box and began selecting the fresh pastries. She had overpacked the box to the point it wouldn't close. Aloura rolled her eyes and went to help. after they'd boxed it, they handed it to a thankful Elias, ''oh right, Annie? Right?'' to which Aloura scowled at him.

''its Agnus to you.'' Aloura snapped, as agnus offered him an apologetic look.

'Right. Agnus, sorry'' his hand reached to rub the back of his neck awkwardly, ''you're hiring?''

Agnus beamed and reached for an information leaflet before finding there wasn't any. ''Oh, sorry Hon. We're out'' she stood straight, ''but pop back in tomorrow and I'll give you one.''

Elias nodded, lifting the box of pastries and mumbling, 'thanks for this' and with one last look at Aloura, he walked out the bakery. Agnus and Aloura's eyes remained trained on the door until his figure disappeared.

''Oh! The chemistry.'' Agnus laughed, clasping her hands excitedly. Aloura's gaze left Elias' retreating figure and focused on the beaming manager before chucking a towel at her.

Aloura had finished work a couple of hours later and had made her way into the vacant home. Her father was nowhere in sight, and Aloura wasn't sure if she should have been relieved or not. Was he out drinking? Or looking for a job, considering he had vowed to change his alcoholic ways.

Aloura decided to hope for the latter but prepare for the former, she had started cleaning out the kitchen and moved to the living room when she'd noticed a broken photo frame on the floor. With hesitant shaking hands, she reached down and picked it up. It was a photo of her, her mother and father. She was on her father's shoulders, one of his large hands was gripping her ankle, and his other holding her mother's smaller hands. Even while alive, her mother looked angelic. Her long blonde locks fell down her shoulders and a yellow dress hung off her loosely, dancing with the wind.