Chapter Thirteen

Aloura had work again, but she seemed to be reoccupied. All her co-workers didn't miss the bounce in her steps, and the chirpy tone she spoke in- except no one knew why. Aloura was opening up again with Joe- and not even he couldn't manage to sour her mood.

Aloura had listened to him complain, or at least made it seem like she was, before nodding her head, smiling and offering him advice. Rather than ignoring him as per usual. Annie arrived later that day, and Aloura grinned as she heard the bell ring. "Annie!" Aloura cheered, throwing herself at Agnus' arms as soon as she'd stepped into the building.

"Bella!" Annie cheered in response, wrapping her arms around the younger girl. They held each other and swung for a moment. "I have something for you."

Aloura pulled back and frowned at Agnus. "You know I hate when you spend money on me" she told her.

Agnus nodded; she was aware of that. She had barely managed to convince Aloura to accept the free lunch that all the staff were entitled too. "I know Bella" she sighed, before reaching for her bag, "but this is different."

Agnus handed Aloura a brand-new book, the words 'I see colour' printed on the cover. Aloura didn't bother grabbing the book from Agnus before tackling her in another hug, muttering out a string of thankyous. "You're welcome, dear. Now, did you have lunch?"

Aloura grinned guiltily, agnus shot her a frown, "No" she muttered.

Agnus sighed, throwing her bag onto a chair before lecturing Aloura. "What did I tell you dear? I told you that you must eat. Everyone eats! Its free food Aloura. I understand you feel bad but that's unacceptable. Honey..." she paused her lecture to turn to the girl that trailed awkwardly behind her. "Do you have an eating disorder?" Annie knew her question was out of line, but she couldn't help worrying. And now she thought about it, Aloura was in fact losing weight.

"What? No Annie. Of course, not" Aloura's eyes widened. "I'm just not hungry I promise."

"Then take it with you!" Annie cried out, "come on, I'll make you a take-out box that you can have later. Your shift finished ten minutes ago. Come on dear"

Annie didn't wait for Aloura to reply to her, nor did she check if she had followed her into the back kitchen. Aloura stayed in her place, sighing happily- grateful she had someone like Annie in her life.

Annie came back moments later, holding a takeaway box and a plastic fork. She handed Aloura the food and Aloura grabbed her belongings before checking out. "I'll see you tomorrow baby. You better eat!"

"Thank you, Annie," Aloura smiled, and held up the book, "and thank you so much for this."

It was only mid-day, and the night before Aloura and Elias had agreed to once again meet at the rooftop at midnight. It was hours away, but Aloura couldn't help the excitement that bubbled within her.

She made her way to the pharmacy, reminding herself to restock the now empty first aid kit. She'd have to go without food for a few days, but it was worth the moments she'd share with Elias on the rooftop.

She walked into the pharmacy door, smiling kindly at the technician behind the till. She made her way to the isle she'd found herself returning too every couple of months before gathering all she needed. She walked towards the till and handed them over.

"Hi again Aloura" Max, as written on his work tag, smiled. Aloura grinned back and mumbled a hi. "Is this all you need?"

Aloura nodded and grabbed the few notes she had from her bag. "That'll be twenty six dollars and fifty two cents please."