Chapter Ninteen

Elias frowned as he wiped down a table, his eyes periodically watching the door for Aloura. It was quarter past three; Aloura was fifteen minutes late, and Elias hadn't heard from her since he'd left her with Kaden. "Is she always late?" he turned to his new co-worker, Cassidy as she cleared the table next to him.

Cassidy placed the glasses in her hand and frowned at Elias before adverting her attention to the clock behind him. She frowned and shook her head, "almost never." She turned around and took the dirty dishes to the back of the bakery, leaving Elias with a pit of uneasiness growing in his stomach.

Minuets, which felt like hours to Elias later, and a dishevelled Aloura entered the building. Her eyes remained trained onto the floor, Elias was quick to move to her, placing his hands on her shoulder. She flinched back, and Elias didn't miss it. Elias frowned; she still hadn't looked at him. He turned to the fairly packed room and sighed before he grabbed her arm gently and led her to the back for some privacy.

Elias locked the door and turned to face Aloura who remained transfixed on her shoes. He sighed again and placed his hand gently under her chin, forcing her gaze to fall on his. His eyes darkened at the sight of Aloura's face.

Elias' thumb brushed over Aloura's bloody lip gently, before pushing her head further up to view the large red handprint littering her porcelain skin. Elias' hand guided Aloura's face to the side as he angrily eyed her injuries. "Who gave you these bruises Aloura?" his voice was soft but firm.

Aloura moved her face from his grasp and turned around without replying. "Aloura?" Elias called as she wrapped her arms around herself. she rubbed her arms in an attempt to rid of her goose bumps. But to no avail. "Aloura. Did Kaden do this to you?"

"No Elias. I fell."

"Bullshit" Elias yelled, his hand hitting the desk beside him, Aloura flinched into herself. Her eyes remained closed as the echo of his voice died down. "Aloura?" Elias called after a moment. His voice much calmer now. "Look at me please."

Aloura looked up at the pleading man whose heart broke at the sight of her tearful eyes. "Who hurt you?" Aloura shrugged.

"Who hurts you?" Aloura questioned him, accusation detectable in her tone.

Elias frowned. "What?" his eyes flickered between hers, his eyebrows furrowed together.

"You're always hurt too. You said you're a boxer, but no one fights at midnight. Unless it's illegal. So" Aloura stepped forward, "who hurts you?"

Elias scoffed and looked away, running his hand through his hair, "you have no clue what you're talking about Aloura-"

"So, tell me-"

"-I can't"

"Then neither can I" Aloura said, her tone final, and her eyes fierce. Elias watched her for a moment before pacing around her.

"God damnit Aloura. That's different." Elias stressed, he continued to pace around, and Aloura frowned at him.

"How is it any different?" she laughed bitterly, "you have secrets and so do I. I've respected yours and all I ask id for you to do the same."

Elias didn't reply, he turned to the wall and threw a punch- and Aloura silently thanked the universe no one was here to see the scene playing before her. Elias continued to face the wall, his breathing rugged and his shoulders slumped in defeat. Aloura watched him for a moment before hesitantly walking towards him. "Elias?" she whispered, her voice delicate, fearful if she spoke in any other tone the man before her would crumble at her feet.