We're Jinxed - Prologue

Blue and pink smoke billowed out of the bulky handgun in smooth gushes of exhaust, infecting the air with the smell of gasoline. It rose up into the air, up into the neon green skies of Zaun, joining the other clouds of smoke and pollution that already hung above the under city.

The figure standing before it heaved as they struggled to catch any breath, hands clutching frantically at their side as they desperately tried to stop something that they could not. At any moment, they would surely fall off of the platform and plunge to their doom, countless stories above the ground of the shadowed city.

The one who had committed the act merely sighed, letting her arm fall to her side before putting the gun swiftly back into its worn sheath. She strode forward, resting her hand along her face as she rubbed her temples.

"You know, I didn't want to do this," she murmured pitifully as she stood before the injured figure, merely inches away. "You probably know by now that Silco doesn't like us killing enforcers—"

"Then why are you doing it?" They spat back, gritting their teeth in pain as they fell to their knees. "You... shit... Silco's deal falls apart with too many of these—" they motioned between their injury and the one standing in front of them with a wince.

"—incidents. I bet you've already had a myriad of similar situations before."

The girl only smiled in amusement in response, taking a step forward and backing the stranger against the edge of the rusty platform.

"Maybe we have," she said calmly, "Maybe I have. Or, maybe, it's none of your concern. You won't be around much longer to ponder it, Saleyah."

"Nnghh... you know, the guard will hunt your head for this," Saleyah chuckled through hisses of pain, all too aware of what could soon be her fall to certain death as she glanced behind her with a thick swallow.

"They'll blame you or... or that freak who keeps causing mass hysteria. They'll know."

Natalia cocked her head to the side in mock innocence. "Oh, on the contrary. The guard doesn't know a thing about us. Only little ol' Sheriff Marcus..." she drew out her words, slowly lifting her boot to press it against Saleyah's ankle as she pushed her nearer to the edge.

"And what would it get him to break the deal with Silco, hm?" She asked, bending down and placing an elbow on her knee. "To go after me— after Jinx, of all people especially— well, that wouldn't go over too well with the boss man..."

"It'll have to come to that if you do this," Saleyah's breathing grew ragged as her fear rose, terror contorting her face into a wild expression. "You'll—"

"You're one measly enforcer," Natalia retorted. "I don't think Marcus would break such an important deal over you, now would he?"

Saleyah grew silent, the realization of her inevitable death setting in. The intense lights of the city below outlined her figure as she grew closer to the edge still, her hands now clinging to the side railing as her torso hung above the open drop, Natalia's hold on her ankle being the main thing securing her.

"You know I'm right," Natalia said quietly. "You really shouldn't have gone digging, Saleyah. Curiosity kills the cat, does it not?"

With that last sentence, she sighed once more, hating the next part of her job. However, the consequences of not going through with it would be worse than not.

Natalia reluctantly released her foot's hold on Saleyah's ankle, sending her tumbling down into the neon, polluted abyss below. Her screams echoed along the mechanical walls of the Lanes, growing farther and more distant before completely stopping upon her impact.

"Oh, to be enthralled by what is called curiosity in this world."

———————

Short little prologue :) Working on a first chapter!
I do not own Arcane League of Legends this is just a fan work!!