We're Jinxed - Chapter 16

Fuck, Caitlyn. Natalia was glaring towards the bluenette now, internally slapping herself. I didn't mean for you to get out so you could make the situation worse!

"Caitlyn," Natalia bit out, frustration rising in her chest as she struggled to get the tight knots undone. Jinx must have known Natalia would use her past training to get out. Great.

"Threatening Jinx isn't helping!"

Vi jumped in frantically, "Caitlyn! She's my sister."

Caitlyn only glanced back at the two for a moment, before her expression hardened. "Vi, Natalia, I'm sorry. She's too far gone."

"Caitlyn, I swear to fucking God," Natalia was seething, fumbling with her ties as Silco and Jinx watched the scene unfold with guarded expressions. "Don't you fucking shoot."

Jinx let out a nervous chuckle —although Natalia could see right through her act— lifting her arms in a gesture to surrender. Slowly, she set Natalia's gun gently onto the table.

Her expression shifted from one of amusement to one of mock innocence, her head tilting downwards as she widened her eyes and uplifted her brows to make herself appear helpless. To manipulate Caitlyn into a false sense of security, the idea that, maybe, Powder was still in there after all.

But Natalia knew she wasn't. Powder was Jinx, now. An amalgamation of them both.

Powder, the lone Powder, died the day Vi left her.

But in a split second, Jinx was shifting colors again.

And in the next moment, Caitlyn was on the floor. Jinx now had her gun back, breathing heavily and raggedly as her eyes glowed a furious pink as she snarled down at the unconscious figure below her.

Natalia hasn't known what she was going to do once her and Caitlyn had gotten out of their restraints, but this wasn't the way she had wanted things to go. Her futile attempts to deescalate things were showing no signs of working.

Then, out of the dead silence, Silco.

"You see? Now finish it."

And all hell broke loose before Natalia as both Silco and Vi fought for Jinx's attention. Vi screaming words that she thought would help— the names of family members, or memories— when in reality, they would only send Jinx further down into a mental spiral.

Silco, on the other hand, was snarling almost without rhyme or reason behind his words. He screeched for Jinx to ignore Vi, to remember him, and only him, and all he'd done and taught her —conditioned— her for.

The life she was given no authority over: her own.

But Natalia saw the way Jinx was frantically grasping at her hair, pulling and yanking as if it was the lifeline keeping her standing on the ground below. Curling in on herself and whimpering below the noise of the others, begging for everything to stop as she was relentlessly attacked by hallucinations.

Natalia needed to do something. Now.

So she didn't add to the noise, nor did she fight tooth and nail to gain Jinx's attention in the situation. She'd seen Jinx in breakdowns similar to this —though not nearly as severe— and she knew what she needed to calm down and be brought back down to earth.