We're Jinxed - Chapter 5

Jinx was restless, pacing back and forth inside of her workshop as the frantic, menacing voices inside of her head pushed her around and threatened to drown her alive.

Nat should have been back by now. Nat should have been back.

Her head was swimming with intrusive thoughts as she let out tormented groans, every small set back when it came to the one person who was always there for her sending Jinx into and absolute frenzy.

She abandoned you. She's leaving you.

The voices were whispering in her ears, leaving her to try and swat them away as she tried desperately to reason with them.

"No, she didn't!" Jinx yelled at the voices, hitting her fist against the palm of her other hand. "Nat wouldn't do that. She's not like that. She's not like Her."

Jinx knew that the night before, Natalia had been scheduled to work at the brothel; and as much as it bothered and frustrated Jinx that Natalia had to sell her body in order to do her job for Silco, they both had agreed— Jinx, had, but only very begrudgingly— it was just what needed to be done.

Natalia had left late in the ominous blue and gray of Zaun's midnight, the air thick with secrets whispered through taught lips and the sound of firelights buzzing around as if they didn't have a care in the world.

Jinx had gone off to her own gadgetry in her abandoned mine-shaft workspace, not thinking much of it besides the familiar ache and fear she received when the people she loved weren't in sight.

Now, it was well into the next day, and Natalia still hadn't come back.

Jinx was, to say the least, in hysterics. Natalia was the one and almost only person in Jinx's life that truly mattered to her— the one who never had given up on her and always kept her sincere promises.

Silco, though he attempted to raise Jinx as a daughter as well as he could, was cold and distant, almost always.

Whereas Jinx had to go to great lengths to get Silco to acknowledge her most often, all she had to do with Natalia was smile at her and the girl would be by her side.

Jinx strived to gain Silco's approval, but she never needed much to get Natalia's. Jinx's heart would pound rapidly, her cheeks would flush, with just the thought of Natalia— along with, of course, a biting and uncontrollable possessiveness that always washed over her.

Her confusing feelings for her best friend were something she couldn't explain, but she did know one thing for absolute, deadly certainty.

Anybody who messed with her wouldn't live to see the next lights of morning. Anyone who dared try to take her away from Jinx would wish they were dead.

Somebody took her away from you.

Jinx's eyes widened, her mind taking this idea and sprinting frantically with it. To her mind, always looking for something to blame, it made perfect sense. "Of course!" She hissed, gritting her teeth as a manic smirk quirked the edges of her lips.

"Natalia never stays that late into the day," Jinx muttered, kicking one of her bombs down the shaft and listening to the satisfying boom as it exploded upon impact. "But who..."

A million answers flooded her overwhelmed brain at once as she hit her head a few times, trying to clear it and the static noise in her ears. One of the handsy customers? An enemy? A Firelight?

Every single scenario Jinx pictured of what could have happened to her Natalia filled her with a maniacal sense of rage and adrenaline. All other things were put on hold; Silco's project would have to wait.