We're Jinxed - Chapter 1

It had been her and Jinx since everything started. Jinx and Natalia. At least, since both of their journeys working with, and for Silco, had started.

Jinx, the blue-haired girl found outside the ruins of a battle between Silco and his own brother, Vander. Shivering, her body being wracked with endless sobs, having lost everything. Her brothers, her father— and most importantly, her sister.

That battle... well, most had died in the midst of it— many were injured or maimed. Some, miraculously, were left unscarred. Physically, that is to say.

Jinx— or Powder, at the time— was taken in by Silco. An abandoned, terrified daughter for his demented, twisted self. It was abundantly clear to everyone who worked alongside Silco that the only reason for his abrupt adoption of the little girl, in that moment, was due to seeing himself in the scared girl.

Natalia, on the other hand, had originally been just a normal, happy girl living in Zaun. All was hard to come by —food, money, jobs— as was a given when it came to the Undercity. But Natalia had figured herself a lucky child, back then, with a big brother to watch out for her and make her laugh and a small house next to an arcade to call home.

It ended the minute her entire worldview came crumbling down around her, when she was sold over to someone in an underground human trafficking ring for profit. That someone just happened to be Silco.

Silco had told Natalia she was lucky— that him taking her in and raising her to be apart of his cause was the best case scenario for a girl like her, who was unwanted and unloved. Since then, she'd always thought that. After all, after what her family did, how could it have been untrue?

When Jinx and Natalia had met, neither of them had been too sure of the other— both too nervous to trust another after what they'd both recently gone through. Over time, though, they grew on each other, becoming close as the years working for Silco went by. Natalia had watched as Silco muddled Jinx's mind even further as he adopted her, and Jinx had watched as Silco used Natalia and everyone else in his ring. Still, there was nothing either of them could do during those moments besides console the other afterwards.

Jinx had nothing. Natalia had nothing. And from the moment he had taken them both in and from then on, Silco had promised them revenge on a heartless world. Respect for Zaun. A family... even if it was a corrupted one.

~~~~

And that's enough mushy shit, Natalia scoffed at herself, closing her diary with a loud smack before throwing it across the room next to her bag. God, get ahold of yourself, Nat.

"Had enough of the self pity yet?" A scowling voice came from a few feet away, causing Natalia's head to snap to the doorway to the breakroom.

She narrowed her eyes, smirking. "Sevika, a pleasant surprise. To what do I owe the honor of this visit?"

"Cut it out," Sevika hissed. "Orders straight from Silco. It took me forever to find you. Have you ever thought of staying in the place you tell people you're going to be?"

"Mm... no, it hadn't occurred to me," Natalia swung her legs over the velvety chaise lounge, her eyelids relaxing as she adjusted her boot straps. "Where's the fun in that?"

"One day Silco's not going to be so amused by your games."

"When has he ever been?"

"We need to be able to find you, Natalia."

"I know, I know," Natalia affirmed, her expression finally turning serious. "Honestly, Sevika, I wasn't scheduled to work today. The Matron just sprung it on me this morning."

Sevika nodded her head in curt understanding. "Well, Jinx just made another mess the rest of us will have to clean up."

"Was it really another mess or just another time she was doing her job?"

"The Firelights attacked," Sevika's already thin line of patience was getting slimmer by the second, and Natalia could tell by the tone of her voice and the vein popping out of her temple. "Jinx was supposed to be guarding the cargo."

"I remember."

"Well, she caused a shit-storm of a mess."

"What do you need with me? I'm working," Natalia interrupted, motioning to the draped room around them. Though she wasn't the fondest of her line of work, it needed to be done and the Matron wouldn't think well of her leaving early. She needed to keep the job to stay in the know for Silco and his goons. "Jinx tends to make messes, yes, but it's—"

"Silco needs you to go talk to her," Sevika growled, her anger boiling over. "You're the only one who's ever been able to talk her down to reality. It's worse, this time. We fear she's getting more reckless than usual. Just go, will you?"

Ah, shit, Natalia thought, concern worming its way into her mind at the urgency in Sevika's tone. Jinx causes these kinds of accidents a lot, sure... but it sounds like something more this time.

"All right, all right," Natalia stood, nodding and heading for the door, biting her lip in worry. "I'll clock out, make up some excuse to the Matron that I feel sick, or some shit like that."

Sevika merely nodded, sighing, before swiftly taking her own leave. "Now it's my turn to go clean up that freak's mess..." she muttered distastefully as she exited the room, earning a searing glare from Natalia as she did so.

Natalia gathered her bag, scooping the small book into it before going to change out of her work clothes.

Can they even be called work clothes? Natalia laughed inside her head as she slipped on her cream chemise, tightened her leather corset and skirt, and slipped on her knee-high stockings. They're barely more than a bathing suit and a shawl.

Once she had affixed her ebony boots properly, she immediately went to make her excuses and leave, heading out into the bright lights and smog of Zaun.

Jinx, what's going on now?

—————

Sorry for the slow beginnings, it'll get going sooner and I'll hopefully be able to put up longer chapters!