We're Jinxed - Chapter 14

It was the dead of night, and Natalia was flush against the covers of her bed, trying so dearly to block all of her thoughts out. It wasn't working very well, so instead she looked up above, counting the silk threads in the canopy of the bed and, as foolish as it seemed, missing her own.

Not just missing her bed, but the person that always used to occupy it along with herself. She missed the feeling of that shared warmth, of that feeling of safety, of waking to the other girl's messy, undone braids and morning breath. Or, when Jinx would leave early on missions, Natalia would wake up to a small present by her bedside table, usually some type of small glitter bomb or color chalk grenade.

This fancy house, this fancy bed, the amazing food— it was nice, but it wasn't home. And it sure as hell felt lonely. The long, desolate marble halls, the taut faces of the Kirammans at dinner, it was awful. The food was okay, but Natalia would just about kill for some Jericho's.

Everyday she worried about the blue-haired girl she knew so well. Whether she was okay, what she was thinking, what she had thought, what Silco might have told her... why she hadn't tracked Natalia down herself yet. All of the possible scenarios terrified Natalia, causing her to get up to pace around the large room, careful of her chest.

Since she had nothing in the first place, there wasn't anything to put around the room, so it was barren as could be, sans the shadows cast along the floors and the few average commodities. Other than those, she had to throw away her clothes from before due to them being so ripped up, so those were gone.

Caitlyn had given her some very over-the-top clothes and nightwear that, to Natalia, was far too ritzy for a prostitute from the trenches. Caitlyn had rolled her eyes and scoffed when Natalia had jokingly said this, merely shoving the clothes in the other woman's arms, and that was that.

Shaking herself out of her thoughts, Natalia limped over to the bathroom, running some cold water and splashing it over her face— not even bothering to flip the lights on. I just want to see Jinx. Leaning forward and resting her elbows on the granite counter, Natalia let her head fall, feel a small, pathetic whimper worm it's way from her lips. Why did everything have to go so wrong?

Turning on the water once more, Natalia let her hands cup until crystal-clear water filled them. Drawing her hands along her face, from her forehead, to her eyes, down her cheekbones, and along her lips. Water droplets slipped down her face sluggishly, a sensation that was willing her to just go to sleep. But she knew she wouldn't be able to even if she tried.

Slowly, Natalia looked up, barely making out her own reflection in the dark, biting her lip with a frown at her disheveled appearance. She wore a loose nightgown, nothing special at all, which was far more comfortable to Natalia. When that was one of the things Natalia had picked from Caitlyn's closet, Caitlyn had looked at her like she was crazy.

Her eyes, even in the dark, shone with exhaustion and worry for what could be coming. For what had already happened. Lifting her nightgown above her stomach, she could trace her hand along the bandages along her chest and torso, of which were scarlet with leakage bleeding from tossing and turning in bed. It reminded her of everything at once, and another small cry left her lips as she leaned forward, bending her head once more.

"Jinx... I'm... so sorry," Natalia murmured, slapping one hand over her face as her other clenched the counter below, a tear slipping down her flushed cheek. "I never should have left."

"Gee, thanks, toots."

Before Natalia could even think to react, two sure hands clasped onto the counter on either side of her hips, a thinly muscled body coming flush up against hers and pressing her stomach into the countertop below as she felt breath hot against her back.