CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The Emperor sat on his golden throne looking down on all of the people inside the imperial court. He had an unpleasant scowl on his face that created creases on his forehead. His snow-like hair was disheveled under the heavy golden crown. All the other people in the room looked up to him, eyes gleaming with admiration and respect. Just like he wanted... The thought greatly eased his mood.

He enjoyed the attention. Enjoyed the respectful eyes of the people. Enjoyed the power he held over them in this entire empire. He enjoyed being on top looking down on all others but himself. He looked around the room and not a single different expression can be found. It delighted him.

" Greetings to the sun of the empire. May the everlasting grace of the stars be with you" A man clad in a blue official's uniform, greeted the emperor with a bow. The emperor motioned for him to rise. The man began his official report.

" I have already checked the artifact, Your Majesty..." The man said with a stoic expression. The emperor looked at the man with satisfied eyes. Hearing the report made him pleased.
" We haven't detected any technicalities, Your Majesty. It's still working at its finest" The emperor looked at the talking stoic man and nodded at his report showing how pleased he is.

The young-looking emperor looked around the throne room filled with nobles and noticed their expressions had changed, their eyes giving off a faint purple glow. It was envy... But it's not directed at him. It's directed at the man giving the report. Were they envious I seem pleased at what he reported? He can't help but let out a low but amused chuckle.

This power I had over them... I'll make this influence everlasting. I'll reign all of Solaria with this...

...Forever.

__________________

Waiting anxiously in my room I sat by the window, chipping away at my nails. I sent a bird to check on my sister earlier after I visited my first brother. I am told about the incident. I am sure this is my brother's scheme again... Hearing a light tap on my window, I hurriedly opened it and let a small blue bird inside. Closing the window I quickly asked.

"How is she?" With trembling hands, I forced myself to sit down and calmly think. Nothing bad could've happened to her, right?

'Princess Genevere, she was saved by a fire sorceress... Well, at least that's what I remembered... I wasn't quite sure since it suddenly fogged and it clouded my vision'  The bird chirped. I was confused by the bird's explanation. A sudden fog? This kingdom shouldn't experience fogs...

"She's not hurt, right?" I asked quite specifically this time. The bird chirped again and told me that sister was already examined by the royal doctor as she was seen by the maids collapsed on the ground. The doctor said she was completely healthy. I released a sigh of relief. Thank goodness...

I thanked the bird and told it to keep an eye on my sister. I need to protect her from my brothers... Just like what mom said...

_________________

I sat on the bed blankly. The doctor visited me earlier. He told me I am completely healthy and that's a relief. I ate diner after that and got ready for bed and now... I can't sleep. That bluebird has been staring at me for hours now! I shifted my position and tightly closed my eyes. I forced myself to try and sleep but to no avail.

"You're spying on me aren't you?" I asked the bird. It only tilted its head at me before continuing to stare. I sighed. Why am I even talking to it when I don't have the power to do so? Well... I do know who ordered that bird. I finally sat up in bed and stared back at the bird. We had our little staring competition there when a whirlwind of red flames appeared, which made the little bird scared, and revealed a woman in a red long dress.

" Good evening! Isn't it a wonderful night?" Her fox eyes lit up as she cheerfully said that. Her blood-red lips formed into a wide grin. Why is she here?
Crossing her arms, She motioned for me to stand up.

"Get up, Morticia. You've got a lot to learn."